Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Adding fluid to Hynautic steering (48YF)

We are getting ready to transport our boat home and my mechanic tells me I must have a hand pump on board to repressurize the Hynautic steering, if necessary, to 20 - 25 lbs.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

The reason the system is pressurized is to keep air out of the system not to force fluid anywhere. If you think about it the system is all at a static uniform pressure. This keeps the seals under pressure and sealed. If there is any minor leaks it’s leaking out and not letting air in. Once air gets in the system even the slightest bit the helms get air bound and cavitate.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    The reason the system is pressurized is to keep air out of the system not to force fluid anywhere. If you think about it the system is all at a static uniform pressure. This keeps the seals under pressure and sealed. If there is any minor leaks it’s leaking out and not letting air in. Once air gets in the system even the slightest bit the helms get air bound and cavitate.
    And how is this air kept out of the system? It is displaced by fluid from the reservoir that just accumulates there until the added air pressure pushes it into system to displace the air. And, minor leaks do allow air in when reservoir pressure is low allowing fluid to accumulate there.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

If it ain't broke don't fix it!

Do you have a leak, are you loosing pressure? I would pump up to 25 psi and keep going if it is working properly.
    Half a reservoir is plenty of fluid.

Pressure is needed to push the fluid up to the helm pumps, it is static head for the three line system to keep air out.

Bill
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    And how is this air kept out of the system? It is displaced by fluid from the reservoir that just accumulates there until the added air pressure pushes it into system to displace the air. And, minor leaks do allow air in when reservoir pressure is low allowing fluid to accumulate there.
    Nooooo the reservoir just maintains pressure on the system. Air can not enter the system as long as there is any pressure. Fluid leaks out until the pressure in the reservoir is 0. Extra pressure in the reservoir doesn’t do squat as long as their are no leaks. RTFM
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

Well I have the manual, useful. Regardless of theory, air can find its way into a system that shows no visible leakage when the reservoir air pressure is low. It’s helpful in such situations that Seastar has good technical support. They point out making a system air tight can be more challenging than making it fluid tight. They specifically note that difficulty in very old systems, when not in use and with insufficient air pressure, where fluid tends to drain back to reservoir creating a void. “Nature abhors a vacuum.” Hence, keep the pressure up to force fluid into the system to prevent voids. Their advice.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by silverpaul View Post
    The fluid is about half full and the pressure was at 15 psi.
    Half full is fine. There should be a fill line below half full. What is the problem?

Don’t fill it. It needs air to pressurize the system.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Air should not enter the system unless there is a leak as hydraulic steering is designed to be sealed. Many smaller boats (single helm) don’t have a reservoir and are simply filled by gravity at the helm pump. Works fine for years without air coming in.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

We lost steering in the Bahamas while docking. All along the years we had the boat the gauge indicated 25psi. As it turned out the gauge froze and air got into the helm because there was no pressure. I will suggest an occasional test that cycles the air gauge.
    Regards
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Well I have the manual, useful. Regardless of theory, air can find its way into a system that shows no visible leakage when the reservoir air pressure is low. It’s helpful in such situations that Seastar has good technical support. They point out making a system air tight can be more challenging than making it fluid tight. They specifically note that difficulty in very old systems, when not in use and with insufficient air pressure, where fluid tends to drain back to reservoir creating a void. “Nature abhors a vacuum.” Hence, keep the pressure up to force fluid into the system to prevent voids. Their advice.
    Mr Clarkson we’re talking Hynautic not Seastar Sea star is a completely different system that is unpressurized. The reservoir is in the steering head where any air in the system is supposed to collect.

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976