Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: More PO follies

More PO follies

Pulled out my Uline to replace with a fridge-only Summit (never used the icemaker, power hog for the limited capacity). Found this connection in the back. Standard issue Hatteras house wiring co-crimped to the Uline (OK), in an automotive crimp sleeve (not OK) and ordinary solid conductor house cable crimped on the other side feeding an outlet (really not OK). I’m closing in on redoing every PO executed electrical connection on the boat, and I’ll be glad when they’re all done.
    Attached Images
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

Re: More PO follies

Bought a house from an electrician once, his neighbor was a plumber. They "fixed up" each other's homes with job site leftovers.... there were 7 (seven) sub panels in my three bedroom house. And EVERY type of wiring known to man. Knob and tubing all the way to Romex to metal rigid AND flex and plastic conduit. And half if it was NOT code. The plumbing was as bad. (The price was right).
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I have a few outlets with solid wiring courtesy of the previous owners too. It seems that whenever a change was made to the wiring, they cut off the old wires and left them there. A surprising number were hot.
    Robert
    MANCHIONEAL
    1973 43DC #365
    Mattox Creek, VA

The entire OE DC panel and wiring remains in my bridge helm despite a newer one installed the year before I purchased. I have dismantled 418 zip ties in the process of trying to remove, not quite there yet.
    '88 55'C hull 394 ​BEATs Therapy
    12-71 TA's ZF BW190 1.5:1 gears

Decided to put in an outlet instead of hardwiring the little fridge. Ancor nylon double crimp flanged spade terminals in the box (one of the PO’s was kind enough to leave me a ratcheting double-crimp tool, works great). Not elegant, but clean enough to be behind the fridge. (Top of the picture is on the left - don’t know why they rotate, or how to stop it)
    Attached Images
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL