Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Adding fluid to Hynautic steering (48YF)

I assume I have Hynautic steering as there is a cylindrical reservoir with a sight glass and pressure gauge. My question is where to add fluid? The bicycle valve is threaded into a large (7/8?) nut but that is all there is on the top. I tried loosening the nut and the valve but both were extremely tight and I stopped before I broke something as I did not have the correct sockets available only adjustable wrenches. The fluid is about half full and the pressure was at 15 psi.

I searched this forum and read a lot about the choice of fluid and was surprised to see in my Hatteras owners manual they advise ATF type A not the hydraulic fluids (Mil spec or Teleflex) that I have used in previous boats.

Paul
    FREEWAY
    48YF Oxnard CA

Re: Adding fluid to Hynautic steering (48YF)

Usual advice for these situations. Soak a day or two with PB Blaster and use a large socket or box wrench. Or an impact wrench. Sometimes tightening a bit allows it to be loostened. On my 48MY I use the mil spec fluid.

Bobk

How do you tell what's in there to start with, I doubt you can mix mil spec with ATF A ??

I think the answer to your question is; "Yes. You're at the right spot. That nut comes off and that is where you fill the reservoir." I suggest that you follow the manual which is express.....do not use ATF --I think it says Detrol for emergency use only.
    I think recommended psi is 25-30 but again...check manual.

That large plug has a rubber seal on the bottom and can be in there very tight. Get long wrench and loosen it. It will break free. The proper fluid is Hynautic fluid or mil spec 5606.

If you have a leak, you need to find it. Don't just keep adding fluid. It will only get worse.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Thanks for all the info. I was concerned about using WD-40 or some other penetrating oil in case it got in the reservoir - just be careful I guess. The fluid in there appears reddish from the sight glass so I was assuming ATF. I would like to add clear Teleflex fluid that I have - anyone know if mixing is a problem?

Thanks,

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by silverpaul View Post
    Thanks for all the info. I was concerned about using WD-40 or some other penetrating oil in case it got in the reservoir - just be careful I guess. The fluid in there appears reddish from the sight glass so I was assuming ATF. I would like to add clear Teleflex fluid that I have - anyone know if mixing is a problem?

Thanks,

Paul
    The Texaco Mil Spec 5606 that I have is red as well. Don't assume it it ATF just because it is red.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Anyone ever figure out a simple test to determine if Mil Spec 5606 or ATF? I assumed I had 5606 in mine, so that's I topped it off with.

Do I have to re-pressurize after adding fluid? Why the PSI guage?

Quote Originally Posted by Persystor View Post
    Do I have to re-pressurize after adding fluid? Why the PSI guage?
    Yes you do. The pressure forces the fluid into the system. Unless you need to bleed, 15-30 PSI is recommended.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC