Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Kohler Genset No AC and shutting down 1985 61MY

We recently got our mothballed 20kva #1 Kohler Genset to start, but it keeps shutting down after about 30 seconds with the "cranking reset" circuit breaker tripping.Model 20ROP63 Spec 13354BWe do not see any AC.Is it possible if there is no AC then the engine will shut down? Is there a circuit breaker switch we do not know about? Fuse? How to excite the system?Is it possible to override the shutdown so at least we can run the motor and work out our next steps?Thanks.

Re: Kohler Genset No AC and shutting down 1985 61MY

Not familiar with this unit, but my first thought was "low oil shutdown".......
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Oil pressure mechanical gauge and temp switches ok and bypasses with text leads. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by scottinsydney View Post
    We recently got our mothballed 20kva #1 Kohler Genset to start, but it keeps shutting down after about 30 seconds with the "cranking reset" circuit breaker tripping.Model 20ROP63 Spec 13354BWe do not see any AC.Is it possible if there is no AC then the engine will shut down? Is there a circuit breaker switch we do not know about? Fuse? How to excite the system?Is it possible to override the shutdown so at least we can run the motor and work out our next steps?Thanks.
    Koehler and Onan use a Hall Effect Switch on the generator stator to excite the field.... I have had this sensor go bad on my Onan/John Deere 60kva Genny at one of my radio stations where I'm the chief engineer. Not a common failure but it happens in damp environs. It should be on the schematic for your generator.

You can hot wire the fuel solinoid to keep it running to troble shoot, you may have to flash the field.
    Capt. Andy1980 43 DC

Thanks. Will hot wire solenoid but Is there an easy way to flash the field?

Check with Kohler first, but i did it on a mase (after being instructed by a factory rep.)by very breifly applying 12v to AC output use a large gauge wire and it makes quite a spark and will try to weld cable to what ever you make contact. I would make sure you check the capacitor , and voltage reg. circuit first.
    Capt. Andy1980 43 DC