Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Porthole wingnuts and plastic hinges on 53 Hatteras

Have 53 Sportsfisherman and wondering if I can replace wingnuts and hinges which have become brittle and broken. Can you replace the inside section of the porthole or do you have to replace complete porthole? Am in Sydney Australia. Any help would be appreciated

Re: Porthole wingnuts and plastic hinges on 53 Hatteras

Quote Originally Posted by blue rhapsody View Post
    Have 53 Sportsfisherman and wondering if I can replace wingnuts and hinges which have become brittle and broken. Can you replace the inside section of the porthole or do you have to replace complete porthole? Am in Sydney Australia. Any help would be appreciated
    send Sams a email with picks.Sams parts catalog is hard to navigate for small items. Glass them over as i did on my 52 they were a problem leaking and mantance issue.
    Hate to say this on this site but look at west marine catalog on line they have them.

I have a 52C and the port lights are getting "tired". I plane to replace them all with stainless soon. Will be "on the hard" for a while and plan to paint the hull from the rub rail down so it will be a convenient time to do it. Check out this link. http://www.newfoundmetals.com/dimension-stainless

My early 53 has solid bronze portholes, I don't know what hatteras was thinking when they switched to plastic in the late 70s! I look at the newfound metal line when I needed bronze portholes for the sailboat I built a few years ago and assumed they were made here in the US. Wrong! Made in China. i went with bronze hardware cast in Maine instead.

I d be even more careful with stainless as most Chinese stainless should be called stainmore
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    My early 53 has solid bronze portholes, I don't know what hatteras was thinking when they switched to plastic in the late 70s! I look at the newfound metal line when I needed bronze portholes for the sailboat I built a few years ago and assumed they were made here in the US. Wrong! Made in China. i went with bronze hardware cast in Maine instead.

I d be even more careful with stainless as most Chinese stainless should be called stainmore
    Good to know about the China stainless!

I agree the "Plastic" is a strange choice, especially made by the Fuller Brush Co. But they have lasted over 30 years! They apparently still make them. Not sure if they sell parts. Here's the link:

http://fullerindustriesllc.com/portlights/

Quote Originally Posted by blue rhapsody View Post
    If you do decide to replace,I would be interested in the wing nuts if they are in good condition.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I thought about finding something like this.
    Attached Images

I suspect these fractures are caused by over tightening the wing nut to stop a leak. The old gaskets take a permanent set and harden as they age. AAAcme Rubber has a silicone foam cord that looks like it will seal well and is soft enough to not need a lot of force. I got a sample to run a test on the next port leak but until then I won't be sure.

Bobk

Quote Originally Posted by Toolsntoys View Post
    I thought about finding something like this.
    Those are really nice looking. Are the plastic or chrome on metal?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Seven they are stainless steel. https://m.mscdirect.com/mobileweb/pr...tedParts=false Hope this link works. I'm not sure of the correct size needed but they have a large product offering.