Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Operating check list

I'm a list person. I Love um. Also used to fly planes and work at a Nuclear Plant, so its kinda engrained. In aviation, there's a check list for everything, starting engines, take off, landing, emergency procedured etc. Does anyone use check list? you know, seacocks open, engine oil level, water level etc. I think it would be nice to have a little binder with all this important information available, just so you dont forget anything. I was thinking about putting together a list, then shrinking it a little, then laminating it and putting a hole in the corner with a ring binder. I hate to reinvent the wheel. I'm sure someone else has done this. If I could get a rough copy of a list of stuff, that would be great.
    Thanks. I did a search but couldnt find anything.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

Re: Operating check list

Great subject. I've been slowly cobbling a list together and was thinking the same thing. Laminate it and use a sharpie or other marker to check items off. Then next time out just wipe it and start over. My list is hardly complete, and obviously will be specific to my boat and it's systems, but I'm interested in hearing everybody else's ideas.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I guess we can use a word program and copy and paste it in the test area of the message. Others can then add stuff to the list, or maybe throw the B.S. Flag (not worth checking). I'll try and see if I can paste some stuff here. I dont know if it will work as a attachment. I think only pictues will do that.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

I put together a detailed pre-departure checklist, on a spreadsheet, specific to my boat that I use pretty religiously, even if we are departing from somewhere daily. If I don't use it, it seems like I forget something. It can change with the season (i.e. "remove ER vent blockers, turn off block heaters" during the winter)There are actually some very good ones in the Hatteras owner's manual which form a good starting point. When I have to take the boat out of the water for hurricanes or repair, I have another more ad hoc one I put together for for pre- and post haul out.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Hi All,

Great idea !!!!!

I think an excel spreadsheet might be a better alternative given we could have multiple sheets for different subjects. Word works as well.

You can attach both via the forum attachments feature.

A method of sharing might need to be worked out so several people aren't taking copies and making changes at the same time.

That could be remedied by posting only changes and having one person collate so to speak.
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four

Once you know your boat inside and out, you don't need a list. The checks just come naturally as a routine. In fact, once you make the list, you'll find you don't use it because you already do all of those things.

The key is not to be in a hurry. Take your time and make sure you are really ready to depart. And don't let others rush you either. It's your boat and you are the captain. The boat leaves when you are ready.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 11-29-2011 at 08:48 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

As you gain experience boating (not with your boat, but on the water), you will know what to check, what to verify, what to do. As the season's change or hours click by "the list" changes; you'll know what to do/ check/ and complete. You will learn what works and what is a waste of energy.

I've found that pre-running there is few things that you need to do, just do it every time. Same with the post flight inspection, the mid-flight inspections, etc. Its just getting comfortable with your boat and running it. Nothing beats running your boat and learning what needs to be done.
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

When we keep the boat out of town there is times when Susan will go to the boat before or without me. We always go over things for her to do when opening and closeing the boat when
    I'm not there. She calls when she gets there and we go over things to open, check and turn on.
    When she leaves we do the same thing. I've always said I was going to make a check list but i've
    never got a roundtoit.
    "Mambeaux"
    1985 43MY

Hi All,

I dont disagree that as time goes by and as you learn about your boat things become intuitive. But I think a list like this would be of great value to the new/newer hatt owner.

I've owned my boat almost 5 years and guarantee you there are a lot of things I should know about that don't.

I'd love to have the vast collective knowlehdge of the forum especially the esteemed elders in one place for reference.
    Last edited by lumina; 11-29-2011 at 10:42 PM.
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four

I find that living aboard is a continuous check list in itself. for the user who comes on board maybe weekly or monthly, I think it is a good idea, so easy in the excitement of getting away to overlook an important item. Regular maintenance should take care of many of the items and thus help keep the list more compact and not a 4 hour job before getting underway.