Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Canvas Cleaner for Mildew

I know that this has been kicked around a lot in the past, but it's been a while since I read anything new. My question is what should I be looking for in a canvas cleaner solution that is effective on mildew and bleach free?
    Most stuff that I've used in the past has been anywhere from moderately effective to not effective at all (on mildew). West Marine seems to be stocking something called 303 Cleaner.
    Responses are appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Captain Bill
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Re: Canvas Cleaner for Mildew

I just went through this same thing on our canvas. I couldnt reach the bimini so I ask the canvas guy to remove it and clean it and apply 303 to the top. He ended up washing the whole Bimini in a commercial washer using a mild soap. I think he used Drift or woolite. I dont know why those detergents are gentle on fabrics but dont use Tide or something harsh. I removed my pulpit cover and washed it the same way and it turned out great. I let it air dry then used 303 and let it dry as well. If you choose to leave it on your boat to clean it, then mix woolite or drift in a bucket, then use a soft brush to clean the mold off. Then rinse well and let it dry good before applying 303. I think other brands might work too, but Sunbrella recommends 303. Hope this helps. This info came from the canvas maker that just did some work for me so I hope He's correct.
    Pate B.
    1985 43' MY "Blue Bayou"
    Southport, NC

Last Dania Flea market, I picked up a few sponge type things that are pure magic. A light wipe and away anything goes. Sinilar to the magic erasire you would find in the grocery store. Some sort of clay pigment in the eraser that is water activated. Awesome stuff.
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

FWIW, "Goop" hand cleaner has done the best job. Must follow instructions on the can for stains.
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

The white sponges may be Mister Clean Magic Erasers. The Admiral swears by them. She once used one to remove permanent Magic Marker from wallpaper after a grandchild's experient. I was amazed when it did the job. They somehow manage to remove stains without marring even shiny finishes. They are a great product and we are now never without some on board and at home.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932