Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"Calling all Experts"-Striping and protecting exposed Bronze Fittings??

Ok, whiled stripping the Varnish on my railings I hit the chrome plated brass/bronze fittings with the sander and said "That Looks Good". Since the fitting on my 73/53MY are Chrome plated brass and are in deplorable condition I decided to work on two fittings on one stancion and see how it looks.
    IMO it looks great.

There are two problems 1. how to get the pitted chrome plating off, without taking the railings apart. 2. How to protect the Brass/Bronze fittings once cleaned ??

Ive tried a burnishing wheel , wire wheel and sanding disc all of which work to some degree but are incredibly labor intensive.

HELP

Re: "Calling all Experts"-Striping and protecting exposed Bronze Fittings??

My one and only experience was with the railing off. Kind of suprised at the precision fit, but came off without a lot of problems. My memory says the railing would have to be at least loose enough to work off the chrome cap. Good luck.

Heat the cap and remove the screws. The heat will soften the 5200 that is gobbed in there. Then it will pull off.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Try Corrosion-X, which seems to protect bronze and brass fittings admirably. Available on line. I hve had really good luck with it on through-hulls, strainers, etc. No green stuff on them.

Or pull them off and have them rechromed. I was surprised at how reasonable it is to have chroming work done. My spotlight came in at just over $200 and I just had the rims off of my wifes Jetta TDI chromed for about $500.
    Sky Cheney

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Or pull them off and have them rechromed. I was surprised at how reasonable it is to have chroming work done. My spotlight came in at just over $200 and I just had the rims off of my wifes Jetta TDI chromed for about $500.
    He Sky...Sell the TDI Jetta and get your wife a Volt. My wife likes hers so much that I never get to drive it. It is an awewsome car and burns no gas on most days. When it goes beyond 50 miles after a charge, it still gets 44 mpg. GM finally got something right.
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

I really like the look of the natural Bronze fitting with the stainless pipe. The big problem will be keeping the Bronze from tarnishing. Several antique saleboat sites have suggested a two part Acrillic Urethane Clear Coat . They claim it lasts about 2-3 years and is easy to remove and reapply.

Are the Stancions attached with screw or thru bolted???

Quote Originally Posted by Maynard Rupp View Post
    He Sky...Sell the TDI Jetta and get your wife a Volt. My wife likes hers so much that I never get to drive it. It is an awewsome car and burns no gas on most days. When it goes beyond 50 miles after a charge, it still gets 44 mpg. GM finally got something right.
    Maynard, Maynard, Maynard. You just don't get it. I will NEVER buy an Obama Motors product. The shareholders and the bondholders got screwed and Unions won. Our tax dollars are now paying bonuses to union workers instead of paying those who originally took the risk by buying into GM.

And....My Jetta TDI cost half of what the Volt cost, it gets over 50mph on the highway, and it has no lithium ion batteries to catch fire in a crash.

But I'm glad you like it. At the rate they're selling it should be a collectors item very soon.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 11-14-2011 at 10:20 PM.
    Sky Cheney

I think he is trying to get some more sold so his has some value later on. Rare cars can be valuable but when it was a flop and no one wants them they don't fetch much.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

yry power coat, they have all kind of colors.