Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)

Hybrid View

Bedding Glass in Aluminum Frame Windows

It looks like my bedding the cabin window frames with butyl tape and 3M 4200 is working, no leaks yet.

When I removed the stb aft window frame I noticed that there was water under the vinyl covering around the edge of the window and I decided to redo the bedding around that window glass.

I took some pictures as a went, and thought they might be helpful to anyone considering this task. I suppose you could remove the glass while the frame is still in place, but I would not do it unless I had no choice. I needed good access to remove the glass from the frame. Having the frame on saw horses on the dock worked well. The job gets messy and I do not recommend doing it on the boat.

Window frame with 2 vinyl strips removed:

I used a utility knife to remove the vinyl strips and to cut away as much of the bedding as I could safely get to. Luckily I did not crack the glass.

Close-up of glass "keepers"

I got busy with the job of freeing the glass from the frame and the mess of removing the old butyl and did not take any pictures until I had the glass back in the frame. The glass was attached very well. I used an 18" 40# wire leader like a saw to cut the butyl between the glass and the frame. I then used a sharp paint scraper/putty knife and a razor scraper to remove the caulk and butyl. I then used mineral spirits to clean the butyl from the frame and the glass and a lot of paper towels. Be prepared, butyl makes a big mess.

I used an electric drill with a 3" wire brush in the chuck to clean up the frame and corrosion, and I painted the corroded part of the frame with primer. I carefully cleaned the parts of the frame and the glass where the bedding will go with xylol and then denatured alcohol on paper towels.

This is the glass back in the frame. I ran a strip of 1/8" x 1/2" butyl tape around the edge of the aluminum frame replaced the glass and ran a bead of 3M 4200 around the edge of the glass.

I put another line of buty tape over the 4200. This does not come even close to Sam's instructions, but after fighting with the task of cutting the old sealant caulk and worring about chiping the glass I decided to go with more butyl and less 4200.

Close-up of glass with butyl underneath and 4200 bead. I was carefull to clean the mating surfaces of the glass but got tired of cleaning and did not worry so much over the outside of the glass.

Continued next post
    Last edited by Vincentc; 10-13-2011 at 09:41 AM.
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

Re: Bedding Glass in Aluminum Frame Windows

Other side of window frame. I masked the part of the frame that shows inside the cabin then painted the surface that had the corrosion. I ran one line of butyl tape around the perimeter of the frame leaving space for a bead of 4200.

Butyl tape over 4200 bead

I precut the vinyl covering strips from Sams a little over length

I did not use the Sam's "keepers". I had bought them over a year ago and managed to lose them. I could not find an substitue that worked and decided that they were not necessary for me.

I used silicone sealant under vinyl strips simply to fill the void under the vinyl trim, thinking that silicone is easier to cut than 4200 if I ever have to replace the glass.

Continued next post
    Last edited by Vincentc; 10-13-2011 at 09:42 AM.
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

Exterior side completed. The slots for the vinyl strip did not go all the way into the corners and could not figure a way to make the job neater. I removed the excess silicone with a razor scraper after it had cured.

Masking tape around the window frame hole for the 4200 bead outside of the butyl tape

I put extra pieces of butyl tape around the screw holes for the frame. I ran low on tape and did not have enought to run a complete line.

So far everything has worked well. Compare what I did with Sam's instructions and decide what is best for you. Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Excellent post Vincent. Very informative and clear. Thanks.

It almost makes me wish my boat still had its original windows to reseal.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

This and the prior thread on this subject should go in the Frequently Asked Service Questions" Archive at some point.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Quote Originally Posted by Vincentc View Post
    Other side of window frame. I masked the part of the frame that shows inside the cabin then painted the surface that had the corrosion. I ran one line of butyl tape around the perimeter of the frame leaving space for a bead of 4200.

Butyl tape over 4200 bead

I precut the vinyl covering strips from Sams a little over length

I did not use the Sam's "keepers". I had bought them over a year ago and managed to lose them. I could not find an substitue that worked and decided that they were not necessary for me.

I used silicone sealant under vinyl strips simply to fill the void under the vinyl trim, thinking that silicone is easier to cut than 4200 if I ever have to replace the glass.

Continued next post
    I used silicone for a temp repair and found it turned the plastic that is sandwiched between the safety glass white.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

IMO, this is a quality thread. I always like to see photos and detailed explanation like Yachtsmanbill used to do here. Very well done.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    IMO, this is a quality thread. I always like to see photos and detailed explanation like Yachtsmanbill used to do here. Very well done.
    Those were the hay days at Sam's, kinda like the Howard Stern show where you just had to tune in to see what happens next. This is a fantastic thread, along with your previous one on using Butyl tape. Your efforts in documenting and photographing this project, which all of us who have not yet done have on our to do list, is truly the bomb diggity. Better to give then receive, and with that a hardy Thank You Vincent.

Vincent,
    Great job with the post. Helps me out more than you know. Takes the out of the equation. Thanks.
    Mark Mendez
    League City, TX
    69, 45C310, "CoCo"