Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Maybe Pascoe's not as knowledgeable as I thought... :(

I have posted here many times that IMO Pascoe has the best info around re boat maint, etc and that his view of stuff was pretty much in the "can't go wrong doing what he says" category. I have pretty much done whatever he says to do about any particular boat issue.

But in reading an article of his re electrical stuff I found (several times) a statement that if you put a wet cell battery on a concrete floor, it will be dead in two weeks. That was true in 1920 but it hasn't been true for a lot of years now.

So since that statement is wrong, it makes me then wonder what else may be wrong with what he is saying. I was disappointed to see such an obvious error. I used to treat him as "the authority," but now I guess I'll look at him as just another opinion to consider when researching stuff that I am not knowledgeable about myself.
    Last edited by MikeP; 09-25-2011 at 07:52 AM.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Re: Maybe Pascoe's not as knowledgeable as I thought... :(

Why you put him on a pedestal is beyond me...but he's been wrong on many occasions, especially on the engineering and engine side of things.

He's got a lot of good information, but he thinks he knows everything. Nobody can ever be an expert in everything.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

"Nobody can ever be an expert in everything.
    "

I thought you and I were!

You are right - I "started out" in larger boats with him and talked to him several times re different boats/issues, etc, so I guess I treated him somewhat as a mentor and assumed more than was appropriate.
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

I think Pascoe is right on most things, I disagree with him on a lot of mechanical aspects.
    No one should blindly follow someone's advice without thinking things through. I put a lot of thought into things before I do them. I decide what makes the most sense to me for my application and what I know from past experience what works and lasts.

I always believed that those who can do, and those who can't tell others how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Why you put him on a pedestal is beyond me...but he's been wrong on many occasions, especially on the engineering and engine side of things.

He's got a lot of good information, but he thinks he knows everything. Nobody can ever be an expert in everything.
    Better watch out your dealing with blasphemy here.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Not to change subjects, can I ask our resident experts about the battery/concrete floor comment.

I was always under the same impression and have them resting in the garage on 2x10's.
    What changed over the years in their construction?

The reason it's not an issue is that the case material used today (or for quite a long time for that matter) won't leak any current/chemistry.

Of course, if you have a battery that is dirty and with spilled electrolyte on the surface/sides, then you do have a path to the concrete. But a clean battery does not. Batts do discharge on their own, regardless of where they are sitting. But I leave car batts disconnected for up to 7 months and, when reconnected, they start the car instantly with no sign of reduced ability due to the 7 months of self-discharge.

But I was trained the same way - to never put batts on the concrete floor. To hear the stories some old mechs told me, you'd think that just sitting the batt on concrete for 10 seconds while you cleared shelf space for it would instantly render it useless.
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

i leave them on the concrete at my shop for months at a time and never have a problem. i was always told not to do it ......from older people

I think Pascoe made that comment about 10 years ago. But regardless I find his writings most useful on things like ergonomics, safety and structural issues. I think his book "Mid Size Power Boats" is invaluable for someone setting out to buy a bigger boat, particularly the discussions about design and systems more so than about brands of boats and engines. Nigel Calder is my electrical god, and I have a couple or three mechanics who are my engine gurus.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Hi all,

It just so happens that i bought a copy of Pascoes Mid Sized Power Boats this past summer after a difficult time finding it.

Ended up paying $100 for it.

Will sell it for $60 plus shipping.
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four