Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Question House water components?

43 DCMY the shore water works but no water off of the 12 volt house system.The tank is full. .I'm going to check the power to the pump but what breaker drives this pump and what are the other components in the system?Is there a higher volume pump that can be installed to increase the pressure?While I'm at it whats the accumulator on the bulkhead just to the left and forward of the hot water heater?Please remember I'm 151 miles from the boat.Robby
    CRAZZZY NUFFF

2. Re: House water components?

On my 43'. the 12v breaker is on the bottom left side of the electric panel... And it's a white switch, one of only 2 that's not black... A simple volt meter will show if it's a defective pump if the switch is working...
    I had to replace mine about 5 yrs ago......
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Re: House water components?

If you go to a larger pump watch the increase in pressure or you may get some leaks. Some of the higher volume pumps do not have adjustable pressure and a friend did not listen and had 3 weeks of chasing down drips and leaks before he figured out it was too high pressure for the system.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Robby:

The breaker is on the bottom right of the panel under the stairs going down to the salon from the aft deck. It's marked either "water pump" or "Fresh water system", I can't remember which. The pump is a 12V Flojet, I believe. There actually may be a spare down in the bilge, maybe over near the inverter. Whatever you do, be sure you do not exceed the pressure the old pump provided. Although all the plumbing in your boat was replaced when the boat was re-fit in 2003, you don't want to start getting leaks from the connections. Give me a call if you have any questions.
    Bill Root, USCG 100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY

I would give a couple taps on the pump motor with a large cresent wrench first. If no love I would check for juice with the voltmeter as previously mentioned it most likely is a bad connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Root View Post
    Robby:

The breaker is on the bottom right of the panel under the stairs going down to the salon from the aft deck. It's marked either "water pump" or "Fresh water system", I can't remember which. The pump is a 12V Flojet, I believe. There actually may be a spare down in the bilge, maybe over near the inverter. Whatever you do, be sure you do not exceed the pressure the old pump provided. Although all the plumbing in your boat was replaced when the boat was re-fit in 2003, you don't want to start getting leaks from the connections. Give me a call if you have any questions.
    Thanks. Its0630 and we are driving up this morning.I have this water problem and the port starting battery to check out.Bought a hyrometer yesterday.
    CRAZZZY NUFFF

Robby,

The water pump switch marked "Water Pump", on our 1980 43' DC is on the upper right of the 12 volt panel under the stbd salon window. We have a 12 volt Galleymaid waterpump with receiver mounted in the void under the dinnet. If you have another brand of pump, you need not read further on this post.

Gallymaid can give you instructions for the pump but basically, there is a lever by the pump motor. IF there is no pressure in your water system, you can start the pump manually using the lever. Also the Gallymaid pump must be purged of all air using the pipe plug or valve mounted on top of the pump itself. The best way to prime the pump is to fill your water tank then open the priming plug to let all air escape.

Will

Thumbs down Re: House water components?

Well I checked the power to the pump and it has power.Whacked it a couple of times with the ole cresent wrench and it still would not run.Goodthing is Bill left a brand new pump on the boat when he sold it to us.I'll change it out next trip up.Not so good luck on the port starting battery.I made sure it was properly serviced ,disconnected it from everything else and charged it with an independant charger and when I checked it this morning it was at 1.8 volts.Ah shit!!!! Its in the hole behind the Starboard .I'll need a helio to get it out.More at ten!!!!
    CRAZZZY NUFFF