Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Is your bottom blistered?

There's always talk about Hatteras and blisters so I thought I'd post a few questions. I figure here would be the best place to find out how many Hatts really do blister. Does your boat have blisters? If so how extensive are they? Did it ever have a bottom job that included blister repair? So far for me the answer is no blisters or blister repairs for my 1974 46C or my 1988 65EB.
    Jack Sardina

Re: Is your bottom blistered?

Jack,

Our 1988 Hatteras 65C has a few dime size blisters in localized areas.
    Not worried about it though, our 1972 48 Yachtfish had some blisters, but they never grew or multiplied over the 5 years we owned her.
    Btw, what's your hull number? Ours is HADAT319K788.

Pete

Hey guys. Our '71 38c has no blisters and has had no bottom job. However,before we bought present Hatt, we surveyed a sistership in Charleston,S.C. a few years ago and counted 48plus baseball sized blisters. Blisters seam to be worse in southern,warmer waters and where vessels do not spend the winter on the hard. This of course makes sense.

1976 42C no bottom work no blisters

1977 36C, no blisters no bottom work. In the water year round for the lst 21 years.

I have a 1966 41c that has been in the water year round in Florida for at least 10 years. My bottom is solid with no blisters but I do not know if it was just coated with interprotect 2000 for paint or if they did a full barrier coat. It's not broken so I wont fix it.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Our 53 had extensive blistering per the PO who had a blister job done in the mid '90s. None since. All the 53s we looked at either had blisters or blister jobs. We didn't worry about them at all either way per the info of Pascoe's site that they are cosmetic on Hatts and have no significance other than appearance.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Our 53 had extensive blistering per the PO who had a blister job done in the mid '90s. None since. All the 53s we looked at either had blisters or blister jobs. We didn't worry about them at all either way per the info of Pascoe's site that they are cosmetic on Hatts and have no significance other than appearance.

I have seen one or two Hatts with blisters beyond the gelcoat causing delamination of the fiberglass but only in isolated areas. I am not a fan of peeling but if it is done on a Hatt it should not cause structural issues unless they go into the layers beyond the gelcoat. There are at least 4 sailboats and 2 low cost power boats with stripped hulls in the yard where I am doing a blister repair and barrier coat on a 52. None of them will ever be the same as the peel took off 1/4' of glass after the gelcoat and there is evidence of delamination on a few of them that is deeper in a few spots.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

my 1977 42c needed considerable blister repair. At first glance it looked like there were only a handfull of dime or quarter size blisters. I did the tepairs myself using west system. A close look at the hull revealed tiny 1/8" or less cracks you would normally not notice. Grinding out these imperfections revealed a much larger comtaminated area underneath. I made the repairs in 2002 and have not had a single issue since. My fishing buddies have older 45 's and have all had total bottom jobs. If you look hard you will find blisters on any older boat, many like mine will be in a pre-blister stage and give the appearance of a small crack, not the typical bubble everyone looks for.

No blisters, no bottom job. Always a fresh water lady and on the hard in winter since delivery.
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY