Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Re: What do folks do with expired flares?

It's been a few years ago now, but I wanted to let my wife get used to the flares, both handheld and aerial, so I phoned Coast Guard in Canaveral, and asked them if we could shoot them off a couple miles out of the inlet. They told me to give them a call on the radio when we were going to do so with our position, so they'd know it was us if they got calls of a boat in distress. We did, shot several, called them back to say "all done". Only got rid of a few old ones, but it was good real-world practice.
    Searching...
    Daytona Beach, FL

When I managed Treadwell Bay Marina in Plattsburgh, NY, I held an annual event to help educate the boat owners and families. In attendance was the CG auxiliary, FD cold water rescue, Sherriff's dept, Vermont State Police and Power Squadron. As Lake Champlain is in 2 states and 2 countries it gave the chance to ask questions regarding those laws. We also started different types of controlled fires giving everyone the opportunity to use the proper and non proper extinguishers. We also used outdated hand held flares and gun fired flares and again everyone had the opportunity to participate. Before starting we notified Coast Guard Station Burlington in what we were doing. When we were all finished I held every one back as I needed to make one more call. I called the Coast Guard back to let them know we were done and they reported back to me that they received NO calls reporting the flares. Keep in mind between Plattsburgh and Burlington is the most populated areas of the lake. Lesson learned, launching a flare in the sky does not guarantee rescue!
    BobWaz
    1987 40 DC #322
    Knot Again!
    Champlain, NY

What a great thing to do for fellow boaters. Congratulations and Thank You
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I keep my old flairs as the will still work just in case. I like the learning lessons listed above great way to teach the proper use.

We had a similar demonstration "class" at our marina once. Everyone got to set off the old flares. What most of us noticed is that, yes, some of the old ones do not light or are less than fully operational. Also, that in daylight, the smoke flares are much easier to see than the red flame. I know its not required that you carry smoke, but it convinced me to have a few of those aboard as well.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI