Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

What do folks do with expired flares?

I've been keeping them, figuring that they will work just fine if I need them but it's starting to get stupid - I've got more flares than the Titanic! Hmmm - didn't help them much.

So do folks just throw them in the dumpster? It would be more fun to use them as junior fireworks but since they are for distress, using them for "playing" is sort of like making a fake 911 call.

So, just toss them in the trash?
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Re: What do folks do with expired flares?

Call the local towns for where they can be dropped off. I keep some backups but they seem to multiply like rabbits
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I've dropped mine by the local volunteer fire department. Not sure what they do with them, but they'll take 'em.
    They're probably on some of their boats! I agree with the "multiply like rabbits" comment!

It seems odd that WWII pyrotechnics/ammunition still works but "marine" flares expire in a a couple of years...
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    It seems odd that WWII pyrotechnics/ammunition still works but "marine" flares expire in a a couple of years...
    I believe they are rated for 40 months so you have to have a government agency to make sure we keep buying new ones. I have not heard of one less than 10 years old failing so I keep spares for up to 10 years.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Local Power Squadrons, Sea Scouts and CG Auxiliaries usually will take them and use them for training purposes. I keep at least one generation on as spares and have a few on my Whaler (which at 13 ft is not required) as well.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

If you need them you will probably be glad you have a lot. I buy the minimum, three, as mine expire. I keep a rubber band around these so I can show them to the USCG if boarded. (Showing a current USCG Auxiliary inspection sticker seems to have cut down on my boardings lately. I have the Auxiliary inspect both the big boat and the dinghy in order to get two stickers. I post one sticker in the proper place, by the port entryway, and the other by the stbd. so they are visable from both sides.) I probably have a dozen or more "expired" SOLAS parachute flares, several more in the dink.

These things are not intuitive to use, worse if panicked or in the dark where the instructions can't be seen. For instance, on my boat there is an overhead deck above each door. Can't shoot from there! So take some of your oldest flares/rockets inland on July 4th and have each usual member of your crew fire one. You too. I even try to keep a fired one aboard to demonstrate the trigger function. Unfortunately the Admiral generally tosses these out.

I still have a few 45 year old flares from when the boat was new. I fired one a couple years ago to see if it would work. It did. But watching the molten slag drip down toward my hand made me realize the need to hold it sideways and well outboard of any inflatable liferaft as it would melt right through it.
    Last edited by Fanfare; 09-24-2011 at 07:30 AM.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Throw a couple of the handheld sticks in the trunk of your car. They work just like road flares and may come in handy someday.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

9. Re: What do folks do with expired flares?

My Power Squadron along with the Coast Guard Aux hold a yearly flare demonstration... You can bring yours out and use them.... Or use ours that have been given to us..
    The 12 guage aerial ones put out very little light nor do they last long. Plus not only did the out of dates ones have a high failure rate, the current dated ones had about a 20% failure.
    The next group, 25MM did a much much better job... I upgraded my 12 guage to these after seeing the difference.
    The top of the line is SOLAS....those are a blast to shoot off. But they are expensive !!!
    We also set off smoke cans and there's a place to try out your hand held flares. These too had a failure rate that seemed more due to being wet than the date stamped on them
    Every time we hold one of these, we always are given flares from WWII and it' amazing to see how many of them still work...
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

After a few beers, they've been known to be shot at water snakes. Takes em right out and the flares are under water doing there thing.
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY