Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

YET ANOTHER Raritan Head question

I am about to hit the "send" button on an order for a Raritan head and have a question for folks (Sky?) with the Raritan Atlantes or Freedom. I might have even asked this question before but I couldn't find it. I'm purchasing one for the master to eliminate the noise of the GM and reduce water use and, based on how we like it, will probably purchase/install another in the guest head. We will leave the GM in the bow head.

Which version of the flush mechanism did you get, the panel-mounted one, the stainless "basic" handle on the toilet, or the stainless handle with "toilet control?" I've read the description on the site but I'm not really clear on the difference between the stainless handle with toilet control and the panel mount as far as what they actually do differently.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Re: YET ANOTHER Raritan Head question

The panel mount has all of the functions (normal flush, low-water flush, empty bowl flush, and momentary flush) on it. With the handle style you have to push up or down to vary the type of flush and its not as intuitive for guests. IMO, the panel is the way to go.

Also remember to order the built-in vented loop or you'll end up adding one elsewhere in the line.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Thanks Sky - will do.
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Mike..I agree with Sky. We replaced all three GM heads with Raritan Atlantes heads 6 years ago. The panel flushing buttons are great. The main reason I went with these heads at the time was they were sold in 32v versions. We just had teak cover plates cut (and I varnished them...) to put over the GM flush panel holes and mounted the Raritan panels on top. Wiring was the same. The dip switches on the back of the panels can be set to time the flushes. The only thing I wish they had when I put mine in was the household bowl size which they have now. Good Luck..Ross

Ditto

I have three 32 volt fresh water Atlentes that Bruce Morrison installed for me this past winter.

They work well and the panel is intuitive even for the most lubberly.

"just hit the blue button" is all the direction I have ever needed.

I will say they are not as quiet as I expected. The solenoid and water valve knock when they shut but a vast improvement to the GM's.

Also ditto on the houshold size. I went with the smaller version and wish I had'nt. I have one more to do this fall and will buy the larger size and swa out the master head one.
    Shawn
    58 MY

I replaced all 3 of my Galley Maid pumps, all of the hoses etc ... had to do one of them twice. One of the toilets still loses prime and drives me nuts. It needs a vented loop.

Hate to say it but ... what a mistake. Should have switched to the Raritans.

I've never had any trouble at all with the oem raw water GMs - replaced stators once since we've owned the boat. And, as it turned out, I didn't order the Raritan. Actually, Angela's comment on a slightly different subject two days ago got me thinking, "What, exactly, am I trying to fix?" The answer that I came up with is...well, everything works fine, WHAT the heck AM I trying to fix?

So instead of ordering a toilet I bought a rifle.
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Do the Atlantes heads discharge adequately into the smaller diameter Hatt hose, or do you have to replace with 1.5" hose?
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

I went with all new hoses but i know others have not.
    Shawn
    58 MY

Did you enlarge the holding take fitting to 1.5" from the current 1"?
    Did you replace the overboard seacock with a 1.5" size?