Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1965 50' motoryacht Lorelei IV for sale

We have just listed the Lorelei IV for sale at $89,000.

Boat is located on Barkley Lake in Kentucky. Listed with Green Turtle Bay.

For information contact me at lorelei.iv@gmail.com .
    Last edited by libbill; 09-08-2011 at 08:42 AM.

Re: 1965 50' motoryacht Lorelei IV for sale

Pictures, specs?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I have been aboard "Lorelei IV". She is a very nice original well maintained yacht. If you're looking for an unmolested Classic 50 MY, this is your boat.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Pictures, specs?
    http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=15904&url=
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    I have been aboard "Lorelei IV". She is a very nice original well maintained yacht. If you're looking for an unmolested Classic 50 MY, this is your boat.
    SeaEric - Thanks for your kind words. We try to keep her in good condition and well maintained.

From looking at the pictures, is the aft cabin wood simply washed out? Can't really tell from the pics if it is something different or just needs re doing?

In 1965 you could specify a particular wood finish from Hatteras. Ours was built in December of 1965. We have brown ribbon mahogany in the galley and saloon which I see in Lorelei. Afromosia came much later. From the engine room corridor aft we had a white pickled oak finish to make it brighter below. After about 25 years this finish yellowed. Rather than restore it I had it sanded, filled and painted Awlgrip Hatteras white. For some owners this is heresy. I figure it is pretty close to the way it came from the factory but even easier to maintain. About five years ago I gave this area two more coats. Looks like new and I don't need to keep the lights on during the day.

When you ordered a new Hatteras the factory had four to six fold out portfolios about three feet long and two feet high. These had the various factory finishes for carpet, lineoleum, curtains and fabrics and included swatches for everything. You could pick. I have refinished all my interior wood over the years.

Maybe you should have a look. Lorelei does not look like she has had much modernization. Everything looks original. That white muffin-looking thing in someone's hand toward the end of the photos is a core cut through the hull for a fitting. You won't ever see a fiberglass boat overbuilt like this again. They are solid boats. We have had ours 45 years now and have not found a significant structural fault. I have done things such as replacing the electrical panel with a larger and more modern one, but you don't have to do this at once as long as the panel is not running too hot. Her 18 kt. top speed is probably long gone, but so are the days of eleven cent diesel. Those engines will last forever at slower speeds.

You can call me if you decide to buy her. Whatever she needs seems to be reflected in her low price. They are wonderfully comfortable boats.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

I see that there's another 50 MY for sale in Ft Lauderdale. She is reported to be hull# 1.
    Eric

I was on Hope 20 or so years ago. She was a charter boat out of Marsh Harbor for bonefishing. Had three Boston Whalers on her top deck, would go around Abaco to the east end of Grand Bahama I. and the Bight of Abaco, both places where you don't see many other fisherman. Would stay there for a week. Sounded like fun. Captain was a nice guy and kept the boat in good shape.

Has no flying bridge, so probably the price difference between her and Lorelei.

At these prices maybe I shoud buy one for parts.
    Last edited by Fanfare; 11-12-2011 at 05:14 PM.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

Lorelei has no bridge either, if I recall correctly.
    Eric