Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Carrying a motorbike.

G'day guys,

Over here in Oz, there are a lot of people travelling around that we call "Grey Nomads". Basically those that jump in a motorhome or hook up a caravan to their 4WD and travel around this massive country of ours.

I'm thinking that being a "Grey Sea Dog" would be much better. As Australia is completely surrounded by water, the idea of travelling AROUND the country when retirement comes appeals to me. The trouble is, when you pull into the small ports and towns dotted around the nation, how to get around and to the sights that are a bit inland.

So I gets to thinking..... A scary thing according to my wife. A reasonable crossover motorbike for bitumen and dirt roads weighs about 200 - 250kg. About the same as a decent RIB tender and outboard package. I am thinking that a tender davit would handle that nicely from behind the flybridge with room to get past the bike to the tender. The tender rack might need relocating a little further aft but not a lot.

The bike could be lifted off to the dockside when required and secured in its rack when underway.

Obviously the bike would need a REALLY well made cover but I find the idea intersting.

Does anybody know of this being done and any drawbacks? For instance, would there be enough strength in the rear section of the flybridge deck?

It's just an idea but your thoughts, experience and expertise would be appreciated.
    Cheers,

Rick H,
    Old Shipwright.
    Melbourne, Australia.

One day, your life is going to flash before your eyes....
    ..Make sure it's worth watching!!!

Re: Carrying a motorbike.

I used to take my 250cc Honda to Cuba all the time, which was 130NM against the Stream from our location in the Keys.

We used to tie the bike to the fighting chair on the aft deck. There is much less movement on an aft deck than there is on the bow.

There is nothing worse than drilling holes in your deck to accommodate a rack, deck box, or anything else, much less a motorcycle stand.

I agree with not drilling holes. I would also point out that bikes are not by their nature very well adapted to salt spray etc so you can figure on doing a lot of maintenance. There are bicycles made of SS or aluminum that are more resistant to salt spray and air- no motorcycles that I know of. I think the weight would not be a problem, many dinghies weigh that much.

We carry two 150cc motor scooters on our fly bridge and have so far for the last 3500 miles of cruising. We have three chairs at the upper helm station. I used a 2 X 10 and fastened it with 'U' bolts across the backs of all three seat stanchions. Then using eye-bolts through the 2 X 10 and those ratcheting straps, I cinch the bikes by their handlebars. The front tires are butted against the 2 X 10 and I just compress the front shocks. The scooters have rode securely up the west coast all the way to Skagway, Alaska with no movement. We use our crane to lower them on to the dock and off we go. It turns a lot of heads seeing them up there and coming off with the crane.

Keith
    Lady J

Cheers Gents,

I agree with having as few holes in a deck as possible. Having said that, there is no reason that a through deck fitting can't be as watertight as a through hull fitting.

I was more concerned with load stress of the bike and frame on the fittings and deck itself. I would typically use stainless or anodised aluminium plates on each side to strengthen the fitting and spread the load across a wider area.

Keith, from what I read in your post, your scooters' wheels sit directly on the flybridge deck. Is that correct?

To keep the bike protected, I was thinking that a custom cover that zips up over the mount would keep most of the water and spray out and then there's the fresh water deck wash to hose the bike down as required.

It's good to hear that this is not a new idea. I find it's ALWAYS good to use other peoples experience where possible.

Thanks again.
    Cheers,

Rick H,
    Old Shipwright.
    Melbourne, Australia.

Rick:

You are correct, the front wheel sits right on the deck. I have been in 12 - 15' seas and they have held tight. The front wheel is on the deck, the stand sits on a piece of plywood. The handlebars are cinched down tight to compress the front shocks, the back end of the scooters are just strapped to the flybridge support, no compression.

Keith
    Lady J

I have carryed a Yahama 1100, 400 lbs. on the back of fly bridge 58 MY
    for 9 years 4000 miles no problem Cheers Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by stewart View Post
    I have carryed a Yahama 1100, 400 lbs. on the back of fly bridge 58 MY
    for 9 years 4000 miles no problem Cheers Stewart
    Sweet. Thanks Stewart.

I am surprised that I haven't personally seen it done before - except of course on Mega Yachts etc.

Then again I suppose if you were having a megayacht built you could have a watertight garage with ramp and room for a selection if required.

Ah, it's so nice to dream.......

Actually, I can't really imagine wanting more boat than a 53MY Classic with just a bit of personalisation.
    Cheers,

Rick H,
    Old Shipwright.
    Melbourne, Australia.

i have a 150 honda elite scotter for many years on the bow of my 41 chris craft and now on the fly bridge of my 58 hat lrc. lots of fun, and few worries.