Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Re: Chattanooga To Charlevoix

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Well Charlie I hate to tell you this but I'de go with him at the drop of a Hatt.Betcha it comes off without anything happening.Good luck Randy.Wish I was with you!!!Robby
    You hear that Charlie? NEENER NEENER NEENER!!!

Thanks for the vote of confidence Robby. I'm just glad this thing has CAT's cause I'm batting 1.000 with those.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Pictures!!!!!!!
    CRAZZZY NUFFF

3. Re: Chattanooga To Charlevoix

Yet Randy posted on facebook he had one engine quit on him......... I TOLD YOU .....
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

It didn't quit, it just got a little hot... ya big dummy. Took 7 hours to lock through Wilson Dam today, so we ended up at Florence Harbor Marina. I'll crawl into the ER in the morning when it's cool and see about replacing the impeller. They were supposedly replaced last year, so we'll see.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Its 0500 so I know youve already been up and swapped out a new impeller... check the strainer basket too while yer at it! AF level is good too??
    There is nothing waiting for you at Padookie; LOTS of barge traffic, no docks, no fuel... I took the Cumberland route, and fueled at Green Turtle. Shouldve stayed overnite there but was told there was an overnite dock at the C-land - Ohio junction... NOT! We stayed on the hook there and its treacherous anchoring. The next leg was to Cape Girardeau, Mo. Got fuel there and stayed on the by-pass canal. Next morning was a run to Kaskaskia L&D on the LDB and then on to Hoppies for fuel, and finally Alton, Il for the night.
    Above Alton by about 10 miles is the Ill River at Grafton. Its an overnight on the hook before a dock at Peoria. Plenty of islands to pull in behind to anchor... mostly clay bottom. Above Peoria is Seneca Ill, then on to south Chicago. Dont take the sanitary and ship canal as theres 2-3 fixed bridges that you will not clear. Stay at Sunset Bay just below the Obrien L&D and kick the sub for me... you cant miss it!
    The next leg for you will be on the lake. Listen to WX1 for concise weather. This time of year the prevailing winds will be from the NW so the Wisconsin side will be flatter. The west side is also about 100 miles less and youll be able to judge the lake conditions with out committing to a 100 mile open lake trip at the git-go. If you can get yer carcass outa the fart sack early enough, you should make Port Washington which is a 100 mile run once on the lake. 75 miles further is Manitowoc and we will meet you and let you buy us dinner. Shoot across the lake for Frankfort, Mi. in the AM which is 75 miles. And the next morning leave for Chevrolet which is another 80. Dont be surprised if its ruff and you get tired after 40-50 miles and stay in Leland (dumplebergers home town!) or continue on to Northport (suggested!).
    C-voix is a tricky and REALLY SKINNY entrance. Windy with lots of rec boaters, and a 15 foot bridge to clear on the hour and 1/2 hour. Once in the harbor, the Municipal marina is hard on the starboard back in the corner... you can kiss the ground there! Have the owner buy you dinner at Staffords' Weathervane restaurant. Its at the bridge on you port side as you came in...
    I know you wont follow these instructions as you live for excitement, but it sure felt good to type with morning blindness for a half hour making it at least sound like I know what I am talking about. BTW... the river is gonna be up with lotsa rain so watch for debris, and the bridge in Lemont will be at 20 feet. Ppat will be there for a funeral this week but youll be a week too late! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Hay Willie, thanks for the info. This thing has a folding arch, so we're good with the 19' bridge. Thank God the impeller on the starboard engine is inside as there's no way in hell I could change the one on the port engine. Gotta wait for somebody to wake up so I can borrow and open end 7/16" wrench. All I have for tools is a little socket set. Checked the strainers and AF already, and both look good.

No doubt Green Turtle is on our list of places to stop, and we'll most likely overnight there. I'm guessing we'll be cruising this thing around 10MPH or so as the owner wants to save a few bucks on getting this thing home. I sure was hoping to get ahead of all this rain coming up from the Gulf, but it ain't gonna happen. Calling for 100% chance of rain and 15MPH winds here this evening.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Just confirmed it's the impeller. Broker thought they had been replaced when the oil was changed in preparation for this trip, but they weren't. No doubt if the starboard is this bad, the port can't be far behind. Bad news is, there's only one spare impeller onboard, and it's a holiday weekend. I'm gonna switch this one out and hope for the best until we can make it to Green Turtle where I'll call ahead and make sure they have the impeller and a skinny little mechanic who can fit himself in that little bitty space. You have to be a contortionist to get into the ER in the first place. I kid you not, the hatch is about 20" square, and the soundshield for the generator takes about 6" from that. I have to crawl down feet first, arch my back, and support myself at about a 45 degree angle until I can spin around and sit down. It is some kind of tight. BubbAmigo wouldn't stand a chance! LOL
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    Just confirmed it's the impeller. Broker thought they had been replaced when the oil was changed in preparation for this trip, but they weren't. No doubt if the starboard is this bad, the port can't be far behind. Bad news is, there's only one spare impeller onboard, and it's a holiday weekend. I'm gonna switch this one out and hope for the best until we can make it to Green Turtle where I'll call ahead and make sure they have the impeller and a skinny little mechanic who can fit himself in that little bitty space. You have to be a contortionist to get into the ER in the first place. I kid you not, the hatch is about 20" square, and the soundshield for the generator takes about 6" from that. I have to crawl down feet first, arch my back, and support myself at about a 45 degree angle until I can spin around and sit down. It is some kind of tight. BubbAmigo wouldn't stand a chance! LOL
    Figured you would wind up there.If you could get ahold of Aqua or Grand Mariner I'de bet that they have the impeller you need in stock.Florance Harbor is ok.Will probably be our home for awhile someday.So the 43 Hat has more engine room than this boat?Robby
    CRAZZZY NUFFF

Wheres Capn' Kodiak??? ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Ended up at Bird Song Marina around river mile 103. Had planned on Cuba Landing, but it was closed. Dealt with 30+ MPH winds on the bow pretty much all day along with some torrential rain at Grand Bay Marina last night. Next stop Green Turtle for an impeller change. Lost an impeller in the starboard day before yesterday and only had the one spare onboard. The ER on this thing is so tight that there's no way I can get my manly self outboard the port engine, so I'm gonna let somebody else have the honor. No way I'm heading up the Mississippi with what's surely a worn impeller.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93