Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Re: 55 Convertible Repower underway

we're talking sportfish here... not container ships!

when is the last time you saw a wartzila engine in a sportfish? just wondering how relevant this is.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I see tons of cummins and cats in the SF arena but cummins does not have a pleasure boat offering in the real large HP range and the dealerships do not always have access to all. As for real life experience I would take the cummins over the cat in the under 700 HP range any day. It's easier to service and support especially since we are cummins dealers.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    we're talking sportfish here... not container ships!

when is the last time you saw a wartzila engine in a sportfish? just wondering how relevant this is.
    Did I say there was a Wartsila in a sportfish? I was using the example to illustrate the completely different approach the differing companies approach parts/service.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Thanks guys for the info and thoughts. We run to the canyons alot and really want to cruise in the 25 knot range. Need at least 1000 hp to get there, plus i am fearful of lower hp engines having to lug too much in following seas and not getting the life expectancy out of them so that rules out Cummins, JD, etc... With the C18s I can underprop a little, still get great speed and economy and not overwork the engines.

Mike, I will keep posting as the project progresses. Settled on a deal with CAT this morning and selected the C18s (C32s too big and too costly - bigger than the 12V71s - meant new shafts, exhaust and trying to shoehorn them in). Like many of you I am a Detroit Diesel fan and the engines ran great for me, but apparently someone forgot to torque the rod bolts on the number ten hole and they backed out at about 1500 hrs. The damage was pretty bad, so I am too fearful of rebuild. The boat is in bristol condition and I plan to keep her for a long time, so while I can't rationally justify the cost, I guess I justify it emotionally.

Fuel lines and engine room plumbing was removed last week. Working on the rest of the plumbing next week. Sanding the engine room the following weekend with a group of fishing buddies to prep for filling, fairing and painting towards the end of September. New plumbing and new AC to be installed in early October. The engines won't arrive until January due to lead time, so should have time to work on odds and ends like electronics and barrier coating the bottom.

Getting a quote on a mezzanine and transom fish box since we cut out the tackle cabinets and bulkhead to remove the engines

Any thoughts on changing from 32V to 24V is appreciated.

Converting to 24 volts should only require replacing components. The wiring is fine. The Simrad will work just fine on 24 volts.

Where do you fish out of and which canyons do you run? I fished out of Cape May for 20 years.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by sobetz View Post
    but apparently someone forgot to torque the rod bolts on the number ten hole and they backed out at about 1500 hrs.

I think you made a good choice. The c18 is based on the 3406, probably one of the best engines Cat ever built. The C18's have been doing well and are reported to be 10K hour engines. When I was looking at a boat with them I did some research and couldn't find a Cat dealer that ever needed to do a bottom end overhaul on them. I believe there is a 55C for sale in Tx that has them in it. Might be worth talking to the owner for some first hand info. You may want to look into renamed C18's or 3412's. Should save a lot of cash and the engines are like new. I would think the 3412 would be very close in size to your 12v71's. What size shafts do you have? Don't go too shallow on the reduction gear or you will pay for it in performance. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by captddis View Post
    Converting to 24 volts should only require replacing components. The wiring is fine. The Simrad will work just fine on 24 volts.
    That is great news! Ill give it a try. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Where do you fish out of and which canyons do you run? I fished out of Cape May for 20 years.
    We fish out of Indian River and Ocean City, MD from the Wilmington to the Norfolk. Name of the boat is G-FORCE. I had an express boat before named Margin. We also cruise in the Chesapeake. I like to stop at the Lobster House in Cape May if I go through the C&D. Are you still in Cape May?