Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

55 Convertible Repower underway

Threw a rod in July in the Starboard 12V71. Loved the engines, but this will be her third rebuild so decided to repower. Engines came out last Wednesday (pictures attached)IMAG0469.jpgIMAG0470.jpgIMAG0476.jpg. Planning to change DC system from 32V to 24V (assume will have to replace heads, bilge pumps, windlass, autopilot - hate to lose the Robertson it worked great!). , Wiring is in good shape so hope to use same wiring if it will carry the amps. Will leave AC system as is. Will replumb with SeaTech plumbing system. Waiting for quote from MTU, but will probably put in C18 1150s. Any advice will be very much appreciated because I haven't tackled a project like this before.

Re: 55 Convertible Repower underway

See what cummins has to offer in your HP range. A little side story, but I ran into a guy that used to be involved with renting big temporary power units. He said when their company decided to ditch CAT and go cummins, the purchase price significantly decreased and their maintenance costs damn near got cut by 50%.

I can attest to annoyance of CAT's part policy. But you can get your part no matter where you are in the world....you just have to go through the local dealer LOL.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Thanks Krush,

I like Cummins. Had them in my last boat, but unfortunately they don't have anything close to the 1000 HP range.

Whatcha mean? See this link for list: http://marine.cummins.com/mrn/public...d=190&menuId=1

What about Detroit series 60's? Or you aiming higher in HP

I think part of the problem you will see with Cummins and others is that above a certain threashold, they call everything "commercial propulsion". A commercial engine isn't going to have the HP cranked up as high as a pleasure boat engine.

I don't know what type of running you plan...but if you want high HP continuous (and burning lots of fuel) then you'll have to go above 15 liters I rekn'. If you can stick to 700hp and less, you can get away with smaller engine (and lighter weight). If you plan on doing mostly casual efficient crusing with occasional go fast...why not use a smaller engine like QSM 11 (on a smaller boat even QSC series).

Volvo Penta goes to 900hp: http://www.volvopenta.com/volvopenta...l_inboard.aspx I can't comment on maintenance or parts prices though.

John Deere to looks like 750hp: http://www.deere.com/en_US/rg/produc...ion/index.html

etc etc.

I have a 1987 55C, i'm very interested in your project as i have considered it on my boat. The weight of modern engines are so much lighter that you may be able to use Cats 3206E 800hp. You will come out with a faster boat at at least half the fuel consumption. Please keep posting pics and info along the way. Would enjoy talking with you at some point at the end.

Mike
    "Habanero"

Another option is running take outs or surplus...stumbled upon this site: http://www.dieselenginetrader.com/en...=Cummins&ID=19

main site http://www.dieselenginetrader.com/

"Threw a rod" I'd be curious to know what caused it and how long since the RB. Its rare to see a 71 series grenade unless some dufus did something wrong during the RB. There are so many take out running 12/71's out there I'd be sticking one in and using the extra coinage to go fishing. Unless money is no object. Then again if that was the case I'd be looking at a 98 or 99 60c.
    Last edited by rsmith; 08-29-2011 at 09:30 AM.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

If "wishes were horses" my ER would be sporting a nice shiny new set of C-32 cats @1800 hp/side.
    Not until something major goes wrong with my DD's though.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

i think it's hard to beat CATs these days... I dont' know how much credit i'd put in "but I ran into a guy that used" but hey that's just me.

We have 3412Es on the boat i run, rated at 1400hp. no issues so far... just did the 3000hrs service at a fraction of the cost of MANNs (the other common power option these days)

parts policy? well, when you don't need to get many parts...

when you talk to folks running / owning boats with CATs, you'll hear many happy owners
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I am comparing Cat to Cummins.

And the "I heard from a guy" is just one example. We just did "top end" on some 3616 where I worked. Now, a 3616 isn't going to be found in a boat on HOF, but when you compare it to a Wartsilla (hear me out), the CAT parts policy really annoys one.

CAT will not sell unit injector parts...the only person to get 3616 injectors from is Cat. When all that needs to be replaced is a seal and plunger, one has to pay 3k a pop to send it back. The only way to get head parts from cat is to send the entire head back and buy a refurb from them. On a similar size Wartsilla, the head can be rebuilt in the field.

I agree that CAT is probably better than Mann, but I didn't mention mann. Everybody has opinions. My guess one doesn't see lots of cummins in SF is because they may not reach out to the recreational market as much and there is a large size jump (19 to 38 liter). And they don't crank up the HP as high as CAT.

Everybody has a preference.