Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hurricane Irene outcomes

I've started this thread so that we can have one place on the Forum where we pool our experiences and information gained from this storm and getting our boats and ourselves through it. Now this assumes a range of outcomes, which is the last thing I want; what I want is for everyone AND their boats to get through the storm without any injury to either people or property- the same happy outcome for all of us. But because we have members in various areas who have boats of various sizes in various kinds of docking situations and haulout venues, I decided it was worth trying to gather as much information in one place as we could do. Please post in as much detail as you care to as to: what size and type boat you own, where you are, what you did to prepare your boat, what the weather conditions were at your location, and how you and your boat fared. There is an opportunity here for all of us to learn from each other, I think. And as the storm moves up the East Coast and we are able to assess things, I hope to hear from all of you as to how thing are going. Stay safe; and stay in touch.

Re: Hurricane Irene outcomes

Luckily, This was pretty much a non-event here on Kent Island.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

I am in Brielle N.J., irene is now up the coast but still blowing as yet I have not been to my boats but have gotten pictures and phone calls from friends. My dock is between the R.R. bridge and route 35 bridge on the manasquan river 1.1 miles from the ocean. Left both the Topaz and the Hatt in the water. Removed everything I wanted to keep, doubled all lines and took down anything the wind could get at above decks. The lower part of my aft deck enclosure is still off the boat since I am in the middle of painting back there. So far so good, double lines did their job based on the pictures and the phone calls. My bimini was up but folded under it's cover and it came through fine. May be some rub rail damage on the Topaz since it's in a narrower slip otherwise everything looks fine. Thankfully it wasn't as bad as predicted, but the lines and allowing slack where I could seemed to be the ticket. Removing stuff that the wind could get at (even the dish for my TV) was a help as well. I did pull the boats away from the dock more then usual just to protect my swim platform. I'll report farther when I get there tomorrow. Bill
    Bill Allen 1973 43 dc
    Brielle N.J.

Deltaville was a non event as well, according to our yard.

Richmond is a mess. About 650,000 without power last night...600,000 today, including us.

non event either here in Nantucket. winds have peaked at about 45kts. I took this video earlier this morning, nothing too exciting... it's on facebook but public

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....34521&comments

one thing to take from this is how lines stretch under load. I've been thru this before but always an eye opener. Again, the windlass is great to pull the bow, and for the stern using the engines splitting the gears work very well.

a good reason to stay on board when feasible.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

heres some of the damage at my marina on long island. at high tide this am the entire marina was under 2 feet of water

Art
    hurricane irene 004.jpghurricane irene 009.jpghurricane irene 018.jpg
    Trouble
    43DCFB DC-306
    AYC NY

Jim,

IN CASE ANYONE DOUBTS THE WISDOM OF HAULING OUT INSTEAD OF RIDING IT OUT...SEE THESE PHOTOS. OUR 43 DC HAULED OUT AND ON THE HARD VERSUS THE DOCK WHERE SHE USED TO BE TIED UP....BEFORE IRENE. AS YOU CAN SEE THE DOCKS WERE DESTROYED. NO BOATS HAULED SUSTAINED ANY SERIOUS DAMAGE. THOSE WHO TRIED TO RIDE IT OUT DID NOT DO AS WELL. THREE SAILBOATS WASHED UP ON THE BEACH, ONE SUNK, AND TWO POWER BOATS SUNK. BEAUFORT, NC.

MEL TUCKER
    Attached Images

I moved Blue Note back to her slip today- absolutely intact. Not even dirty. Smith's Marina did a great job at a bargain price, as usual. I hope this is it for this year and no more headaches, but you never know, do you....