Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Sea Buoys...weather conditions

Why is it, on the advent of one of the worst storms we have seen all up and down the east coast, I can't find ONE - not one solitary - weather buoy on the east coast of America showing winds in excess of 55 Kts?
    Just trying to understand what they are there for.
    Capt'n Bill
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Re: Sea Buoys...weather conditions

You're not looking hard enough,

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/buoy/41036.html

or use this map to find others:

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/AM/158.html

Notice the trend, and they are not out where the storm is at this time.
    Last edited by GJH; 08-26-2011 at 11:04 PM.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Re: Sea Buoys...weather conditions

Bill,
    Perhaps Irene is not that bad
    Also the buoy windspeed is taken at a lower elevation, ie 15' for Frying Pan Shoal. High Waves will shield the anenometer however gust speed should account for that. The wind speed reported by the weather services is is measured a higher elevation. Height matters. So does which side of the eye.
    The eye passed within 20 miles of the FPS buoy, although the buoy was on the west side of the eye. see spreadsheet.

I hope my suspeicions regarding the strength of this storm are correct.
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956