Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AC Issue Low PS

AC Issue Low PS

My salon AC has been acting up and shuts itself off displaying low PS. Any thoughts or potential remedies?

Re: AC Issue Low PS

Low ps means you have leak. Hopefully it s just a valve or connection but if you air handler is old it could be corroded / leaking
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Though Lo/Ps can mean you have a leak...It can also mean you don't have enough air flow...

First check for clogged return air filters in the return grills, but also on the fins of the air handler coils too (these filters often get forgotten on the coils...I've pulled them out that looked like a piece of very dirty carpet.

Some Hatts have dual blowers & one could have quit...Meaning half air flow...And Lo/Ps...

Check for loss Air Flow First...Then look at loss of refrigerant....

Steve~
    Last edited by spcoolin; 08-20-2011 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Added info

Quote Originally Posted by spcoolin View Post
    Though Lo/Ps can mean you have a leak...It can also mean you don't have enough air flow...

First check for clogged return air filters in the return grills, but also on the fins of the air handler coils too (these filters often get forgotten on the coils...I've pulled them out that looked like a piece of very dirty carpet.

Some Hatts have dual blowers & one could have quit...Meaning half air flow...And Lo/Ps...

Check for loss Air Flow First...Then look at loss of refrigerant....

Steve~
    We still have the same problem Low PS.We have not found the leak although we ran the sniffer over each and every line we could get to.I give Melvin a call if we are going up to the boat and he puts the r22 in and it will work for a week.And it really cools well.Hes suggesting we axcess the forward air handler this fall cause he thinks thats where we havent been so we will do that after the weather cools down some.
    CRAZZZY NUFFF

Leaks on these older systems are often in the air handlers...

Specifically the solder joints at the Capillary tube strainers, are know to start leaking first...

In your model air handler Robby...You will need to remove some cork insulation on the side of the air handler coil to get access to the capillary tube...The strainers look like little bulbs on each end of a very small tube...Once you have found that side of the coil...That's where all the solder joints are...The opposite side has none, and should not be leaking.

Spray 409 or Fantastic can help you pinpoint the leak/s...With good light & a mirror, after spraying down that side of the coil...Look for very small bubbles...

I mean Tiny Bubbles...Smaller than in the wine

Steve~

Quote Originally Posted by spcoolin View Post
    Leaks on these older systems are often in the air handlers...

Specifically the solder joints at the Capillary tube strainers, are know to start leaking first...

In your model air handler Robby...You will need to remove some cork insulation on the side of the air handler coil to get access to the capillary tube...The strainers look like little bulbs on each end of a very small tube...Once you have found that side of the coil...That's where all the solder joints are...The opposite side has none, and should not be leaking.

Spray 409 or Fantastic can help you pinpoint the leak/s...With good light & a mirror, after spraying down that side of the coil...Look for very small bubbles...

I mean Tiny Bubbles...Smaller than in the wine

Steve~
    I'm with Steve on the soap thing. We used to run a lot of gas pipe and always soaped the joints. I have had more luck with finding slo leaks in my a/c systems with Joy soap than the sniffers.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present