Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Engine Meltdown

Re: Engine Meltdown

Damn autocorrecting smartphone. I meant spin bearings. of course if you were unfortunate enough do have damaged a main the block will have to be removed anyway to line bore the block. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but hope for the best while you prepare for the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon45C View Post
    Last weekend had a great fishing trip to the Garden Banks on way home the stbd engine lost power, in the meanwhile thought i had a engine room fire. It was the paint that melted off the exhaust manifolds and several hoses had melted. Cleaned up the mess back at port. Alot of coolent all over the engine room floor. Changed raw water impeller and the hoses that were leaking. Chekced oil, refilled coolant That was wishful thinking. After checking the engine oil again I realized it was way above normal and suspect there is water in the oil. I just wonder if the engine is shot, just a gasket, cracked head etc. What are you guys thoughts on how to go about diagnosing such a problem and a good starting point. The biggest problem here in south central LA is to find a mechanic who can handle performance diesel. Has this ever happened to anyone esle.
    I have twin 535Hp DD 6V92 TA's in my 1985 42' Chris Craft Commander sport fisherman and performed in frame rebuilds while the boat was in Destin, FL in 2009. Harbor Diesel located in Destin did the work including replacing the mains without removing the engines. Now that the boat is in New Orleans and running fine I have talked to a couple of reputable DD Tech's in the New Orleans area; Colemar Services and Craig Morvant both of these guys have a good reputation rebuilding Detroit's.
    Joe Signorelli
    Barbara Ann
    1985 Chris Craft 422 Commander
    Luling, lA

Got the floor up, mechanic coming down to the boat this coming monday to tear her down. I will see, got some prices, for a n-frame rebuild quoted 43K, to repower with C-7 cats 145K, not including labor. I love my boat I hate to see her bleeding like this. I will keep you guys posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon45C View Post
    Got the floor up, mechanic coming down to the boat this coming monday to tear her down. I will see, got some prices, for a n-frame rebuild quoted 43K, to repower with C-7 cats 145K, not including labor. I love my boat I hate to see her bleeding like this. I will keep you guys posted.
    Is that $43K for both engines?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

5. Re: Engine Meltdown

$43k inframe for one motor?!
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Sounds like LA prices. As in californicater not loosianna.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

44K for one engine, price quoted to me over the phone from saunders boatworks in alabama. Not including travel to and from LA

Pull it out and bring it to the local Detroit office. I think you will find they have a rebuild program that costs just a WHOLE LOT LESS.

Those sound like Diesel Don numbers to me.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

I agree with the others. Get another price. I had a cracked head 2 weeks ago. Before I figured out the problem with my sweet smelling exhaust "internal coolant leak" I was thinking worst case. My mechanic quoted an inframe on my 6v92 for 12k. Call someone else and loose that guys #.
    Jim
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    1989 41c Hull# 881

We just did rebuilds on both our v6-92's/covington 535hp,for $50,000.Had a heat problem,as you have had, on the starb.eng. and changed a head and one cylinder kit.Ran boat and had another leak and decided to do rebuild on it.Then after doing that one and realizing the port had just as many hours,we did the other one.Both done in the boat,45c,1990 model.We had already replaced the turbo on the port,so that it was about 1500 less than the other.