Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 8D versus 4D

Re: 8D versus 4D

I just changed out 3 of my elchepo 8Ds, $125. I still have 1 in the boat after 6 years. For what I paid for them new I can have new batteries every 3 years. The 3 I just purchaser were $167. bucks each exchange from NAPA.

BILL

Yep, I bought Interstate 8D's this summer. I actually got a little better deal from a marina getting them from Interstate than I could get from all the boat stores, NAPA, and Interstate directly. Buy the batteries from someone else. That guy is just trying to sell you something else.

Gotta love sales people that will lie to you and expect to have a long-term customer!

Capt K

3. Re: 8D versus 4D

I replaced my 8D's with group 24's.. 3 of them Fit exactly into the 8D boxes.Have done great for me... I too replaced them after 5 yrs, mostly thanks to the battery charger going bad and frying them
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Something I neglected to mention: I think battery quality and design matter a lot more than size. If you use starting batteries as deep-cycle batteries, they won't last long- they aren't designed to be fully discharged like that, and they will sulfate and short out and die on you. For applications where you want to run the batteries down, use deep-cycle batteries.

Deep cycle batteries can be used to start engines, and I think they can do it without damage, but they will not generate the cranking amps that starting batteries will- this has to do with internal battery design. To get a fixed number of cranking amps, you would (I think) need larger DC batteries as opposed to starting batteries.

I use two Group 24s as a starting bank- for both engines- and I use two 4Ds as a house bank. That is a function of where the space is- I was able to get two 4D cases into that area, and not two 8Ds. The space wasn't big enough. Ironically, the two 4D cases are now occupied by two Odyssey Group 31s, which are AGMS that have more amp capacity than standard 4Ds.

I think the rules here are to 1) figure out what your loads and needs are going to be and 2) buy the best batteries you can afford. Note that I personally think that Rolls batteries are priced way too high and that you can get the same performance from Trojans or any other high-quality deep cycle system. And I think you can even get reservoir watering with Trojans, although I may be wrong on that one.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I consider my use of 8v195 Dekas on the port starting/systems monitor bank to be a Gomer solution as well, another example of trying to "cheat" on the OEM specs a little to save a buck, or a back, or both. I guess I was trying to offset my Gomer karma a bit when I put Rolls 8HGGs over on the house bank at over double the cost. I also removed a bit of battery Gomerism when I gave the generator its own Group 31 marine battery (now a Sears/Odyssey AGM) instead of, per the PO, tapping of one of the two 8Ds in the 24 volt thruster bank. He kept wondering why one of the 8Ds was dying prematurely...

I'm sure a trained eye could go around my boat and find more that I haven't removed, or fathered myself, as much as I have tried to err on doing or fixing it the right way rather than cut corners.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

The 8V195 was not the battery that hatt originally used. It was a cheaper version that has had a history of issues over the last few years.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

There's a 41 Hatt just down the dock from me that had a 12v 8D explode on him when he tried to start his 8v53s with a full load of people onboard last month. The resulting ER fire took out all of the wiring, charred the salon floor and support structures, and generally made one heck of a mess out of things. I've lost count of the number of exploded 8D and 4D batteries I've seen in our club's battery recycling area over the years. Meanwhile, my Sam's Club GC batts just keep on working.

Just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    The 8V195 was not the battery that hatt originally used. It was a cheaper version that has had a history of issues over the last few years.
    Exactly my point Scott. Though I am not familiar with the issues and these have worked great for going on 18 months now. But they are a Gomer all the same.

As for the exploding 8D comment, it sounds a little apocryphal. Of course there are many times the number of 4D and 8D out there, and you don't have Angela's exploded GC's on your pile either.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Quote Originally Posted by GJH View Post
    Exactly my point Scott. Though I am not familiar with the issues and these have worked great for going on 18 months now. But they are a Gomer all the same.

As for the exploding 8D comment, it sounds a little apocryphal. Of course there are many times the number of 4D and 8D out there, and you don't have Angela's exploded GC's on your pile either.
    I have seen very few 8d batteries explode. They deform and may leak but to explode is very rare. I have seen fires from bad connections cause damage that everyone blames the battery for. Batteries do not just explode without a spark or flame source. If the terminals are dirty or loose there is a good chance of starting a fire.

I bet none of the batteries that burned up had clean solid connections. maintenance seems to be the key here.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Thanks Guys. It was the marina manager that was doing some checking for me. Don't know why he thought they (Interstate) didn't make them anymore. Got with someone else and they are going to purchase them for me through the marina. Owner of marina had already told me, he would let me have them at his cost.
    Thanks again,
    captbuddy