Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: 8D versus 4D

Re: 8D versus 4D

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    But will anyone even pay attention to the system and the batteries properties other than mostly price?

I work with real expensive batteries all the time. Not the ones in the boats Professional Video production batteries.

Different chemistry and configurations are for different uses. Some will charge faster but not as many cycles. Others will discharge deeper but can not move high amperage. Some have memory and some burn quite hot. The answer is simple.

Engineers create batteries to meet a need. Starting and deep cycle batteries are quite different. One will work better in a high amp draw environment than the other. If you parallel enough of the deep cycles they can start an engine but that is not what they are made to do. That's why there are more than one kind of battery available.

If I was to have the luxury of an inverter bank separate from my starting batteries I would consider the deep cycle GC batteries but probably go with the lifeline AGM's. Since my engines each have one start battery and one also doubles as the house I think the 8D Extra heavy duty 1400 CCA is the best choice. I have seen people with a group 27 or 31 as a start battery regret not having enough to get the motor running and I would never depend on a parallel switch for every time I start a boat. I did some work on a 49 gulfstar like that and was scared when one batter was bad and it melted the terminal off another.
    Scott~

I'm not here in this thread other than to say....It's All Relative...

Batteries are what they are...We can argue types & styles forever...

Charging systems are what they are...We can argue types & styles forever...

We can also argue which are better for each other....

Some of each are better for each....

One thing is for sure...If they don't fit together or one has a problem with the other...None of it will work well...

It's still all about what works together within NOMINAL parameters (within design) for all...

Steve~

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post

judging by numbers of PM I got over the years, there are many owners running golf cart batteries in 32v banks with great success. Most are increasing reluctant to mention it in the forums though, for obvious reasons.

I too have been using GC batteries (for the past five years) with reasonably good success. The reason I qualify my answer is that the solution isn't a good one in really cold weather. I avoid starting my engines when a bad cold front hits Florida. It's just too much stress on them for starting. I did have one mishap over the years, when a battery terminal melted. Not sure if the cause was a loose connection or wrong sized cable end. I switched out the cable connections to ones with the proper size hole to fit the GC terminals and have not had an issue since.
    Now I'm thinking about getting an inverter but I doubt the GC solution will allow that, although there have been references here otherwise.
    1987 63' CPMY - Jubilee
    Tampa, FL

All who wander are not lost.

Smile Re: 8D versus 4D

On my 70 here in the PNW I switched to GC's 12 yrs ago, on my second set , 8 per side for 2 32 v systems, 240 v 15 amp inverter runs off the stb'd bank, will not run the fridge/freezer overnite, inverter shuts down on low voltage.

150 amp alternator will let me run the inverter when cruising, fridge/freezer/ice maker. and selectively, coffee maker, one stove element, microwave, dishwasher. etc..

the GC's are 175 ah each and seem to hold up really well if cared for, I keep the main 12 v's pre heated , even in summer, 1/2 turn and they fire.

The GC's do drink water though when really used and that's ordinary tap water which is really soft water here , so, if it ain't broke don't change it.

Quote Originally Posted by pmurphy View Post
    I too have been using GC batteries (for the past five years) with reasonably good success. The reason I qualify my answer is that the solution isn't a good one in really cold weather. I avoid starting my engines when a bad cold front hits Florida. It's just too much stress on them for starting. I did have one mishap over the years, when a battery terminal melted. Not sure if the cause was a loose connection or wrong sized cable end. I switched out the cable connections to ones with the proper size hole to fit the GC terminals and have not had an issue since.
    Now I'm thinking about getting an inverter but I doubt the GC solution will allow that, although there have been references here otherwise.
    An inverter will use lower amperage than starting and they are an acceptable alternative. It's the high draw on starting that can be a problem. If you have a pair of 8 or 1271's that have a problem (like unknowingly the air doors tripped or fuel lost prime) you may burn them up before they start the engines. If everything with the engine is always perfect there should be no problem buy we all know that never happens. Thats how we get battery fires.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Everybody should just switch to air starters!
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

I wonder if you could convert the forward keel tank to hold air pressure??? lol

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Everybody should just switch to air starters!
    A friend of mine had a 63 Monterey with 12/92's and air start. Had a series of scuba tanks manifolded together with a compressor setup to refill them. They also had all the engine controls pneumatic like they do in commercial tugs. The setup worked pretty well.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

What about an inertial crank starter like on the old radial airplanes....that would be sweet.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381