Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 8D versus 4D

8D versus 4D

I am getting ready to replace the house bank. Three 8 D's. Want to go with Deep Cycle. Having a Interstate guy tell me Interstate doesn't make 8 D's no more. Saying the 4 D is a better battery and litter. Understand them not weighing as much but can they be as strong as 8D's. Also have a fourth 8D which only starts the starboard engine and Gen set. Should I stay with 8D's or what.
    Thanks,
    captbuddy

Re: 8D versus 4D

INTERSTATE DID NOT DISCONTINUE THE 8-D. SOMEONE IS BS-ING YOU.

The 8d

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/c...ct+Type|101|1|

is the way to go for starting and house banks. We also use the lifeline agm batteries for inverters but they are not for starting big engines.

If your guy says interstate no longer makes the 8-d get a new battery guy.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I agree with Scott ... 8D's are available ... and I too would stay with the 8D's for your application.

If you want smaller and lighter, I've been running my 58MY on 8v golfcart batteries. The will start these engines. I have the original set up - port and starboard banks (4 batteries in each bank to make 32v). Port also runs the house. My genny has a dedicated 12v and it's own charger. I've never been left with dead batteries from running them down. I have blown a couple of them up because my 31-year-old charger doesn't know when to stop. It's on the list....

Honestly, I cannot lift the 8D's. Sometimes, I'm the only one caring for and maintaining the boat and I have had to replace batteries all by myself before. I can barely do it with the 8v golf cart batteries (cussing like a sailor every inch of the way). I would never be able to heave those 8D's across and over the genny and onto the shelf behind it.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

There are any number of places to get 8Ds. Most are made by East Penn (Deka), who makes a number of Interstate's stuff. NAPA is a good source. I am going to try to be nice here, Ang, but golf carts are what I'd call a "Gomer" solution. Two Group 31's would be a better solution for both turning engines and having some deep cycle capability.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Everyone makes 8Ds, it is a standard truck size. Either he's misinformed, or trying to sell you something else. And misinform you in the bargain.

8Ds ARE heavy- about 120lbs a piece. However, you might think about this- three Group 24s happen to fit perfectly into one 8D case, installed crosswise. You would need to connect them in parallel, but most deep-cycle ones have multiple terminals. That will give you as much cranking and storage power as an 8D any day. Of course, you have a lot of small batteries and cables, but it works just fine. If it's a house bank, you have to make sure to get deep-cycle 24s, which are available. You just have to make sure that's what you are getting.

The best deep-cycle batteries are Rolls (cost like the devil, too), AGMs, or Trojans. Trojans are great batteries, and they do make AGMs as well. I have never had a bad battery from them, and they do make their own batteries- most others are just relabeled batteries from East Penn or Johnson Controls. There aren't a lot of real battery manufacturers out there.

Quote Originally Posted by GJH View Post
    There are any number of places to get 8Ds. Most are made by East Penn (Deka), who makes a number of Interstate's stuff. NAPA is a good source. I am going to try to be nice here, Ang, but golf carts are what I'd call a "Gomer" solution. Two Group 31's would be a better solution for both turning engines and having some deep cycle capability.
    George be fair to Gomer. He was not that bad of a mechanic according to Andy.

Golf cart batteries are on par with other "presidential solutions"

Although the 3 smaller batteries can work remember the parallel circuits and the amp draw when making the connections.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

i've been getting 5 years from the golf cart batteries... a lot better than i've seen some AGMs last. a couple of weeks ago, I replaced a 4D AGM that was not even 3 years old, one that had seen light use as a genset battery.

judging by numbers of PM I got over the years, there are many owners running golf cart batteries in 32v banks with great success. Most are increasing reluctant to mention it in the forums though, for obvious reasons.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

For what it's worth - I use 6V sweeper batteries. They are the same foot print as a golf cart battery but about twice as tall. The 20ah rating for each battery is 330ah. The DEKA part number is 8C6V.

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    i've been getting 5 years from the golf cart batteries... a lot better than i've seen some AGMs last. a couple of weeks ago, I replaced a 4D AGM that was not even 3 years old, one that had seen light use as a genset battery.

judging by numbers of PM I got over the years, there are many owners running golf cart batteries in 32v banks with great success. Most are increasing reluctant to mention it in the forums though, for obvious reasons.

Judging by the number of heavily used commercial vessels and sportfish vessels that run tournaments or run often I would disagree. Judging by the number of 8D batteries we sell and the number of 8 volt ones we still install in the older boats I would suggest that golf cart batteries are a "sailboaters" style of a solution.

Reach into the pocket and do it right. Looking for a lower cost alternative with batteries is not the way to go. I have pulled 6 year old AGM batteries ( lifeline) off a customers boat because he wanted new ones to be sure they were right. One of his 8D batteries is on my genny because that is all it is rated as a starting battery but boy do I have reserves if I need it. I put it ther to see how long it lasts. By the way I do not have it on a charger and am leaving it for 3-4 weeks sometimes between using it just to see how long it lasts. It was by the way over $700.00
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.