Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

1985 Caterpillar 3208

Does anyone know where the sending wire is for the tachometer for the 3208TA engine. The Cat Service manual indicates there is a magnetic pickup on the flywheel bell housing. I can't seem to find it and would appreciate anyone's assistance.

Thanks

Re: 1985 Caterpillar 3208

I guess it depends on which gauges you have, but the mechanical tach drive on a 3208 is on the front housing under the expansion tank/heat exchanger.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

That's the only place that I have ever seen one. It drives off of the camshaft.

Yes, that is where the mechanical tach sender is and on my boat that is connected to the Glendenning unit with a mechanical cabel. It is in the owners manual under "12VDC Ships Service System Pictorial" that the "Engine Wiring Typical" indicates a tach wire coming from the engine. I do not see any wires on the mechanical cabel or Glendenning unit.

I was fortunate enough to get a reply on Boat Diesel and it appears there are Sun Tach sending units on the Glendenning Sync. I verified this yesterday and also toned out the line from the flybridge. The electric line does in fact go to the Glendenning Sync as in the attached photo. The Sun units are no longer available but researching a previous thread here on our Forum Lauderdale Speedometer & Compass makes an aftermarket replacement.

IMAG0250.jpg

you can also, likely, get a tach signal from the altetnator.

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Quote Originally Posted by TomT13 View Post
    I was fortunate enough to get a reply on Boat Diesel and it appears there are Sun Tach sending units on the Glendenning Sync.
    Tom,

Glad I could be of help over there. As you probably know, the HOF is pretty much Detroit Diesel dominated. Let me know how those new sending units work out. I may need one someday.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt