Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bowthrusters...going to bite the bullet

We've decided to go ahead and put a bow thruster in Kismet. In the end, it makes for much more comfortable (and less stressful) docking for the Admiral.

I've been looking at larger Venus and Side Power DC units. Hydraulic would be nice, but its just too expensive.

Does anyone have any opinions for or against either of these models? The SidePower has a 32 volt model, which would be ideal given the test of our 32v systems. If we went Venus, we'd go 24 or 48v.

Thanks for your opinions.

Re: Bowthrusters...going to bite the bullet

I like the variable speed units. I know Wesmar makes one. They are much easier to use as you can turn it on in one direction and lock it there and then you can turn up the thrust as needed to compensate for wind/current.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I woulg go with the Vetus. Have put a few Wesmars in and the motors loose their umph. The Vetus is amazing powerful for its size.

I have a Vetus, courtesy of a PO. It is a 24volt with it's own set of 8D batteries mounted in the generator room very near the thruster, and 4/0 cable is needed as the amp draw is huge, I believe mine is 300. They have all the specs and battery requirements on line. So using your house bank and running large enough cable all the way up there is going to be a challenge. Vetus/Florida Bow Thruster (their US distributor) have a big facility here in Morehead City, not far from you.

We don't use ours a lot, but it is certainly nice to have in certain situations. Make sure your diver keeps it clean. Also, you will lose space in your forward bilge. Not sure what the implications are on a 58LRC, but on my 56MY, it means someone my size (6'2", 210#) cannot fit down there to replace or service the bilge pump system and forward sump. A more normal or skinnier person yes. I have been trying to find someone who can do it for about three weeks now. Not good!
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

I agree the run from the 32v is probably too long (about 12'), but I'll check the manuals and talk with some experts.
    If we go 24v, I can put a charger in the v-berth closet, which makes it a very clean install. Of course, I'll still need to run power to that charger, but that's AC, which shouldn't be a problem.

There appears to be plenty of room in the Bilge, but I'm going to fabricate a 12" tube out of cardboard and see how it looks.

Thanks for the opinions. Keep em coming please.

I am under Admiral pressure to install a bow thruster after a little wind and current mis-read and a raised voice directed her way.

I have a similar boat. Any projections on cost?

Bruce

Freestyle
    1986 662 CPMY
    Tampa

One thing about thrusters is they are noisy, thus can be used to drown out any negative feedback coming from the crew, or captain for that matter.
    George
    2007-2014

The Admiral insists I wear my Eartec's so I can clearly understand the profanity coming from lips....
    And yes, Eartec is welcome to use that quote as a testimonial!

As far as quotes are concerned, I've gotten everything from $11k for an under sized Vetus (cash under the table) to $62k for an over sized Westmar hydraulic with all the bells and whistles....

I'm figuring I can have exactly what I need, professionally installed, for about $25k. I'm going up a couple of sizes since our windage and displacement are considerably greater than most yachts our size. Most dealers don't believe that 58' and 52 tons come out in the same sentence.

If you find someone who doesn't believe the tonnage and length, they are likely the wrong guys, used to working on Sea Rays and small boats. Have you talked with Florida Bow Thruster directly? Theydo jobs everywhere.
    George
    2007-2014

Quote Originally Posted by OBXTucker View Post
    The Admiral insists I wear my Eartec's so I can clearly understand the profanity coming from lips....
    And yes, Eartec is welcome to use that quote as a testimonial!

As far as quotes are concerned, I've gotten everything from $11k for an under sized Vetus (cash under the table) to $62k for an over sized Westmar hydraulic with all the bells and whistles....

I'm figuring I can have exactly what I need, professionally installed, for about $25k. I'm going up a couple of sizes since our windage and displacement are considerably greater than most yachts our size. Most dealers don't believe that 58' and 52 tons come out in the same sentence.
    52 tons? Is that the gross displacement on your documentation?
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present