Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Is this where the market is at? check this out...

extended 58 MY to 72. not original but A LOT of boat for the money. whats up with this?

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1979.../United-States
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

Re: Is this where the market is at? check this out...

Is still a 1972 regardless, also, stringers are encapsulated wood ??..

She's not a 1972 Hatteras. She is a 1979 58' Series I MY. She was stretched to 72 feet.

I was on the boat when she was a charteryacht in St. Thomas. Her name was Bad Boy and was owned by a Harley biker named Bruce. He was the captain, too. Fun guy. It had a juke box and a popcorn machine in the salon. It was an awesome boat with a "garage" for all your boat working and a hot tub on the flybridge. Two galleys - loved the outdoor galley! I have some photos of her somewhere on a laptop.

This is the boat where I got my galley remodel ideas that I have yet to implement on Sanctuary. Bruce put over $700,000 into the "stretch" and modification. I get the idea from talking with him some time ago that he felt he had been taken by the yard. I can't remember then name of the yard, for sure, but there is only one in Fort Lauderdale that I can think of who is capable of doing that kind of work. The boat went to/from the BVIs on her own bottom.

She's had a "sale pending" status in the past, and that went away, so I think there must be something seriously wrong, and my guess would be in the engine room. That's a lot of boat to push with 92s and they were probably pushed to their limits of high horsepower and resulting shortened life. I'm just guessing on that - I have no actual knowledge of what the HP was on Bad Boy.

I would really love the opportunity to see her again and study her a bit. When I was on her back in May of 2005, I did not know then that I would have a 58' MY of my own. I was still looking at a 66' Cheoy Lee LRC at that time. I think I came around to being a Hatteras junkie by the end of that summer.
    Last edited by Angela; 08-08-2011 at 06:29 PM.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Ang, interesting and small world. none the less, it's a lot of boat for the money even with dead engines.
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

I was on this Hatt back in February as a potential buyer. I ended up buying an 81 model that was extended. August Rush had a lot going for it but it looked like it was put up wet. Engine rooms definitely needed some attention. Yacht seemed narrow for the length. Mine is 2' wider and about the same length. August Rush would be a good buy in the low 120-150K to allow for new/other engines and a mini refurb IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Dennis View Post
    Is still a 1972 regardless, also, stringers are encapsulated wood ??..

WOOD?????????????

Don't think so the Hatt's built in the 60s were all glass with foam!
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

The boat is at Harbortown in FOPO as the locals call it. It would make a great charter boat. That is if you could get the party to come up with the $$ it takes to get it to the Islands.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt View Post
    WOOD?????????????

Don't think so the Hatt's built in the 60s were all glass with foam!

I assumed he was talking about the extension. Obviously, the OEM stringers would not have any wood in them.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I assumed he was talking about the extension. Obviously, the OEM stringers would not have any wood in them.
    Oh

O.K that could be, dam shame if they did do it that way. Friend of mine did a extension on a hatt for someone. Made plugs then the mold of it and layed up the finished piece it was sweet and looked like OEM
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>