Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: $400 for floscans?

C'mon prudent mariners... 40 percent there, 40 percent back, and a 20 percent reserve. Add as necessary. How much fuel fuel do you really burn making 5 miles to the play pen? 10 miles round trip and 1/2 mpg (worst case scenario) makes 20 gallons... so you use 10 and get a pleasant surprise at the next fiill up! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

So I am thought of a way to measure this. Tell me if it is worth it or not:
    (Again,t he goal is to find my best gallons per mile rpms)

1-On a calm day when the water is flat: Take 2 6 gallon portable gas tanks, fill them up and secure them in the ER
    2-Run temporary but secured fuel lines to the engines from the tanks.
    3-Have a lucky friend stand in the engine room to monitor against anything funny.
    4-Run the engines at different RPMs (maybe the whole range, 500 rpm apart), where we stay with an rpm level for 5 minutes.
    5-Weigh the tanks before and after each test. (I do have a calibrated electronic scale) 1 gallon gasoline weighs 6.072 lbs. Multiply the difference in weight by this number to understand how many gallons I used up in 5 minutes and make the math on distance traveled with fuel amount burned to get to GPM?

This method will also let me know if the engines are eating up the same amount of fuel or not
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago

Barbaros, Hatteras 41' Before and after restoration

Quote Originally Posted by akintosyali View Post

1-On a calm day when the water is flat: Take 2 6 gallon portable gas tanks, fill them up and secure them in the ER
    3-Have a lucky friend stand in the engine room to monitor against anything funny.
    4-Run the engines at different RPMs (maybe the whole range, 500 rpm apart), where we stay with an rpm level for 5 minutes.
    5-Weigh the tanks before and after each test. (I do have a calibrated electronic scale) 1 gallon gasoline weighs 6.072 lbs. Multiply the difference in weight by this number to understand how many gallons I used up in 5 minutes and make the math on distance traveled with fuel amount burned to get to GPM?

This method will also let me know if the engines are eating up the same amount of fuel or not

Sounds like by the time you get done you have almost $400 worth of time in there and still no flowscans.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

i not thinking 2 six gallon gas tanks, unvented to the outside world, in an enclosed ER is a good idea.
    Jim

SALTY
    1973 38' AFT CABIN

I run my 454s at 2800 which is the sweet spot on plane if you want to get anywhere. That gives me about 20 mph and about .90 MPGs. If I wanna run 10 mph then Ill get 3 mpgs. ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 07-12-2011 at 01:45 PM.
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

Why go to all that trouble? Just fill your tanks, run x amount of time out at x rpm, go back and fill them again. If you have to run at low speeds for extended periods of time to get to/from the pump, it'll skew your numbers a little, but you could do the math on a percentage basis if you need to be that precise. Just don't run the generator or that's going to make it look like one engine is burning more than the other since the generator draws off that one tank. I'd bet the difference between ~3,000 and ~3,500 will be minimal. Hull speed or less is going to get you the best numbers at displacement speeds.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
    I run my 454s at 2800 which is the sweet spot on plane if you want to get anywhere. That gives me about 20 mph and about .90 MPGs. If I wanna run 10 mph then Ill get 3 mpgs. ws
    Forgive me for not paying close enough attention, but what are you running with 454's?
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

His Moped you silly bird. I would never think the roamer would have cat yellow painted 454's would you?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Kodiak juice causes bain dramage... ws

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU9mwaEtsUA

yachtsmanWILLY

Quote Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
    Kodiak juice causes bain dramage... ws
    Then you might consider spitting instead of swallowing. Not sure how I missed them ole' yeller's in your Roamer there Gomer. Now I'm gonna have to go back and read up. I just assumed she had deezles.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93