Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

$400 for floscans?

Well, I did some research on the flow scans, and I am not sure if they are worth the money. The gauge is $400+ plus I will need the sensor, so all said and done, it is a $600 expense.

I am just truing to figure out the most economical speed for my boat. (gallons per mile - not gallons per hour). What is the most economical way to measure that?
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago

Barbaros, Hatteras 41' Before and after restoration

Re: $400 for floscans?

Try the "old fashion" way. Using charts and dividers, walk out distances traveled and keep track of the fuel purchased. It takes time but still works and will give you good workable averages allowing for weather, currents, etc. IF you're looking for consumption at various RPMs, you'll have to run at the same RPM between fuel loads.
    Will

3. Re: $400 for floscans?

The slower you run the better your fuel economy.

If you run say a hundred or so annual engine hours you'll never get your money back in fuel savings; at higher annual engine hours you might get some payback in a reasonable time.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Quote Originally Posted by akintosyali View Post
    Well, I did some research on the flow scans, and I am not sure if they are worth the money. The gauge is $400+ plus I will need the sensor, so all said and done, it is a $600 expense.

I am just truing to figure out the most economical speed for my boat. (gallons per mile - not gallons per hour). What is the most economical way to measure that?
    As I recall, you're running 7.4 Crusaders which should turn in around the same numbers as my 7.4 MerCruisers. With that, running 3,000 on a fast cruise should be about right or you can run hull speed around 1,500 for maximum range.

If you want to test the limits, pop off the flame arrestors and see where the secondaries start to come in. Quite honestly I've never done that with my 41as I've been more than happy with my numbers at 3,000. That being said, I've owned other boats with 7.4's that got better numbers at 3,500. Of course you need to make sure you're able to achieve the rated RPM at WOT or it all goes out the window.

If you think you're going to pay for those Flowscans with fuel savings, forget about it.
    Last edited by Freeebird; 07-11-2011 at 04:26 PM.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

That works great unless you have currents, wind, and waves to figure in... then the Floscan's start to make sense as a tool (not price). I priced them out for 871's and it was approaching $4k+... Would have to put a bunch of gallons through at the efficient speed to pay for them at that price. For me, its a "when do I need fuel" instrument, since I would not change speed to run at the efficiency curve (I run at 1,900- 1,950 RPM, unless weather dictates). I passed on 'em. $400 sounds like a steal.
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

I got the 426 Chysler Wedge engines.. 280 HP..
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago

Barbaros, Hatteras 41' Before and after restoration

I put floscans in my previous boat (350 Crusaders). I swore I would never bother with them again. There are extensive posts on the site re this, including mine and my reasoning for deciding they are not worth the money.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

At one time I was considering them, after several people in the marina put them in and given the feedback I received, I agree it doesn't seem worth the expense. I figure when I have everything perfect on the boat and money to throw away, I might add them. That will be about the time I hit the lottery. LOL

The most cost effective way to get this data is to have someone else run the curves.

I bet it's buried in cyberspace somewhere. Google?

Quote Originally Posted by akintosyali View Post
    I got the 426 Chysler Wedge engines.. 280 HP..
    I'm betting those burn more fuel than my 7.4 Merc's. Just out of curiosity, what kind of speeds are you getting at 3,000 and WOT?

You're not going to find that much of a sweet spot regardless of whether or not you go with the Floscans. Just experiment and keep refilling the tanks unless you want to rely on published fuel burn figures for those Chryslers, assuming nothing was changed in a rebuild and/or carb changes.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93