Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

80's 53 MY vs 90's 52 CMY

Thanks in advance for any feedback. This is a great site.
    After almost a year of narrowing down our search for a larger boat (to us) were looking at these two models: late 70's or 80's 53, and the 90's 52.

This is a rough shot comparison, if there's anything inaccurate or you can add more please do. I'm trying to make a purchase we'll be happy with for years to come.

The 53: exterior to me better looking, massive room, less draft, a little slower but more efficient, lower helm, engine rooms afford more room, more difficult boarding from the water, DD 871 a little longer lasting.

The 52: aft cockpit makes easier boarding from water and allows for occasional fishing, a little higher cruise speed, nice interior layout, salon feels larger, kitchen a little smaller, bridge a little smaller, visibility looks restricted from bridge when backing, some are powered by cat's.

Are the build qualities between the boats the same? Hull strength, etc..

Thanks

Re: 80's 53 MY vs 90's 52 CMY

Many of the 52's have the white-washed interiors (not my thing). The engine room is difficult to access through the stairs at the galley. They have plastic water pipes, not copper like the 53's. The seats on the bridge sit too low for anyone but the captain to see out well.

All and all, I'd stick with the 53.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Both excellent boats but very different. How do you plan on cruising? If you're going to run at hull speed then the faster cruise of the 52 won't matter. The 52 has a big ER. Very nice layout bit as Sky said, most will have the light ash interior. Price wise the 53 will be much cheaper than a 52. If you decide on a 52, the 3406 Cats are by far the better package over the 8V92 Detroits.
    Jack Sardina

We'll do mostly Intracoastal cruising. Once a year Bahamas trip. We'll use the boat as a home away from home more than anything. Probably also moving it around Florida a few times a year exploring different places.
    The white interiors aren't my thing either.
    "They have plastic water pipes, not copper like the 53's."
    That's info I really like knowing. I'm pretty handy with a wrench and will be doing whatever work I can myself, plus that's part of the fun in it for me.
    Only negative (for me) on the 53 so far is getting back in after a swim. My folks we'll be coming along often and my dad is going to struggle with that climb.
    The boat I'm looking at is listed on yachtworld. It's located in Daytona. The website here won't let me post URL's until I increase the number of posts I've made. 1978 53 MY.
    Last edited by The Revenge; 07-12-2011 at 12:17 AM.

As for the climb from the swim platform, it's really not all that bad for any but the very infirm. We thought we'd extend the platform and put stairs of some sort back there when we bought our boat. Four years of very heavy swim platform use later, we still haven't got around to it. I have seen boats where they installed a more stair-like ladder that runs athwartships either to the existing opening or to one created on the corner.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

I like the 52 CPMY. Its a very user-friendly boat. Quite frankly, the exterior profile hurts my eyes to look at it. To the plus side: Cockpit makes life easy, aft deck is HUGE, air conditioned and is where you spend most of your time, forward guest stateroom and head is as nice or nicer than the master. The old guarde here doesn't like the ash interior, but in this particular model it works. I was aboard one with teak and it was awful. The engineroom is tight, but you can get to everything.

The negatives are: Hull sides are cored, not an issue on this model but you need to know that, most have 892 series engines, fuel burn if you want to go fast will make your eyes water, only one helm (FB) and visibility is not the best. The DC electrical system typical of Hatt is complicated, at least its NOT 32v.

You can buy a pretty nice one of these for under $200K in this market. The boats with the Cats tend to bring a bit more $$.

IMO the 52 is a more current, way more functional choice than an old 53.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

I think your analysis is pretty accurate.

If you are going to lean towards the 53, I would add the series I 58 to the mix as well (I am partial since I own one) but I like the longer water line and additional room.

Also, if the cockpit apeals to you, you may wish to split the baby and take a look at the 58 cockpit motoryacht. They came in a galley up and galley down configuration.
    Shawn
    58 MY

Quote Originally Posted by sandspur1966 View Post
    Also, if the cockpit apeals to you, you may wish to split the baby and take a look at the 58 cockpit motoryacht. They came in a galley up and galley down configuration.
    Or the Yacht Fish designs...
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

9. Re: 80's 53 MY vs 90's 52 CMY

I don't think I could own a boat without a cockpit...but thats because I always did a LOT of gunkholing and dog walking....minor fishing and swimming. If you want to store a dinghy or inflatable across the stern, it's maybe 1/4 the work to raise and lower it versus having roof storage. A cockpit also often gives a boat a superior profile. If you will be in marinas most of the time, stern access is nice and easy from dockside. I did all my bar b Qing from back there...

On the other side of the coin, a cockpit is not an area you'll usually use much for relaxing. In return for the above benefits, you give up an interior stateroom. And if you live aboard in a cold climate, that extra stateroom instead of a cockpit can be real nice during the cold months.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Ever since I was a kid I have loved the hargrave hatteras' particularly the motoryachts hence my "handle". That being said after looking at a couple of 52 hatts I ended up buying a 54 Viking Sport yacht. Basically the same thing as the hatteras 52. I am on my 4th season with the Viking and so far this is my favorite boat of all that I have owned. This is mostly due to the fact that is the largest and fastest of all the boats I have owned. My main reluctance in buying the Viking is that it had MAN diesels of which I was scared of. A friend of mine that owned MANs and some research convinced me that I should buy the Viking despite the MANs. Thus far the MANs have been a pleasant surprise. To me the Viking 54 is a better MY than the Hatteras 52 mainly due to the layout and the windshield. The aft stateroom of the 52 is not big enough the bed is smallish whereas the Viking's aft statroom is large with plenty of built in cabinets and the bed is a true queen. Also the Viking 54 has a glass windshield with wipers at the helm. That has always been important to me (not having to look through a rain or spray soaked piece of vinyl. The engine room layout and access is wonderful on the viking. I am 210 lbs or so and I can get to the outboard of both engines very easily you enter the engine room via a full sized door. Also, I use my dinghy alot and ease of use is important to me. On the Hatt 52 you have no choice but to put the tender on the aft hardtop or tow. On the viking the bow has room for my 12.5' dinghy with 40 OB. After loading the dinghy I wash and flush the dinghy right on the bow with no fear of falling off and dealing with getting the hose and what not all the way up to the top of aft deck. I cruise at 1900 rpms at 22 knots and with the genny running burn 60 gallons an hour. I suspect the Hatt has a better ride particularly with a head sea but the overall ride in a variety of sea states has been very good with the Viking. Also Sky rightly commented on how low the flybridge seating is on the Hatt. The viking is not that way. If you like the Hatt 52 I urge you to investigate the Viking 54. BTW the 1978 53 in Daytona is beautiful. good luck in your search.