Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thanks to SPCoolin I have a cold boat!

My 16K A/C unit that services the galley and fwd stateroom was getting warm. I put the gauges on and the pressures didn't make sense. I asked Steve what to do and he diagnosed it as a weak compressor, ie failing. Luckily I caught it before it locked up and melted the windings but the temp of the compressor itself was up to 150 degrees.

Steve sold me a direct replacement condenser unit at a sizable discount from list. I ordered it on Monday and received it on Thursday.

The Box:

The unit:
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Re: Thanks to SPCoolin I have a cold boat!

Old unit:

The only difference between the old unit and the new one was the size of the base. The old one was longer than it was wide and the new one was almost square. The new one has a drip pan built in as well.

So, We pulled the old unit.

Dumped some oil out of it to do an acid test (Steve's recommendation). All tested well, so in with the new one.
    Sky Cheney

I cut a new piece of plywood to mount it on(I know judges, it needs some paint but that's a winter project).

Sky Cheney

R417a?
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Even added a hose to the drip pan to route any condensation to the bilge.

Electrical hookup was a snap. Only 4 wires and one of them is ground.

We vac-ed the system down and then charged it with R22. Nice and cold. Ahhhhh.

Thanks Steve!
    Sky Cheney

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    R417a?

NO, charged with R22. They have to ship them with R417 now, but that is the direct replacement for R22 so we vac-ed that out and used the R22 that I had onboard. I wanted them all the same and the R22 is more efficient anyway.

AFAIK, R22 will not be available after 2020, so stock up or you'll forced into using the R417 in these old units.
    Sky Cheney

Just so you know, Spcoolin just provided the diagnosis and advice on this. He never solicited any business. Once we knew the old unit was toast, I asked him if he could sell me the new unit

His professionalism and prompt shipment made this a 'no-brainer'. I would definitely recommend Steve if you need any marine air parts or assistance.

The rest of the install I did myself, except for evacuating the system, doing the acid test, and recharging. I had a local home A/C guy do that. He charged me about $250 for his time and we used my tank of R22 to recharge. I was okay with that as he seemed to know his stuff and the end result was a nice cold boat just in time for the 4th weekend.
    Sky Cheney

You gotta just love that 49 degree output!! LOL My galley/salon is like that with the newer air handlers - they're just a year old now, but still running on the 31 year-old condensing unit. Everybody complains that it's too cold in here...go figure! Congrats! Looks great. Feels even better, I'm sure.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

That's the same unit I had installed 2 years ago. Now I get to purchase a new unit to replace the last new one. I hope you have better luck than me.The compressor went out just after the warranty went out. Go figure. My 38 year old unit is still running great.

BILL

Quote Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
    That's the same unit I had installed 2 years ago. Now I get to purchase a new unit to replace the last new one. I hope you have better luck than me.The compressor went out just after the warranty went out. Go figure. My 38 year old unit is still running great.

BILL
    Did they do an acid test before just throwing in the new unit? From what I was told, if the old compressor locked up, then there is good chance the windings melted putting acid in the system and it should have been flushed before installing the new unit.
    Sky Cheney