Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A/C Issue - Advice?

One of my 4 Cruisair A/C units has decided to stop running. It is a WFAH16 remote unit that is connected to one air handler. The unit is controled by a SMXir digital unit. The SMXir display is working fine; the fan on the air handler is also running. I can switch from cool to heat on the display and control the fan speed. I did not note any error codes. Checking the compressor I found that the unit was not running. Attached gauges to the system and both dials were reading and equalized at 120 psi. All four units are tied into a Pump Relay - 8 STA-115. The other three units are running fine. ( Thank God!!! ) I guess my question is where do I start? Would it be a relay? capacitor?

Thanks,
    Last edited by SeaWhisper; 06-16-2011 at 07:46 PM.
    Mike,

"SeaWhisperer"
    1969 Hatteras 53' MY
    Morehead City, NC.

Re: A/C Issue - Advice?

Steve will probably chime in here, but you'll probably get a faster response on his website: http://marine-ac.com/

OBX,

Thanks, I tried logging in on his site, but was not able to setup an account. Hopefully he will login in the next day or so....
    Mike,

"SeaWhisperer"
    1969 Hatteras 53' MY
    Morehead City, NC.

The "Steve" of this area (New Bern, Morehead, etc.) is Burt Ferebee. Great guy. 252 670 1009. Also, Martin Marine out of Wilmington comes over here.

Sounds like a relay. When you turn off all the other units, does the pump still come on when you turn on the broken one?
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

I had a problem logging in the other day. Next day received a email and now I am good to go. Thanks Setve
    Curt

Quote Originally Posted by GJH View Post
    The "Steve" of this area (New Bern, Morehead, etc.) is Burt Ferebee. Great guy. 252 670 1009. Also, Martin Marine out of Wilmington comes over here.

Sounds like a relay. When you turn off all the other units, does the pump still come on when you turn on the broken one?

Hey George

I agree, I was thinking the small relay! on the A/C unit itself. After work today the plan is to shut down all system and give the trouble one a try. A least the units have their own breaker switch. I let you know!
    Mike,

"SeaWhisperer"
    1969 Hatteras 53' MY
    Morehead City, NC.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaWhisper View Post
    One of my 4 Cruisair A/C units has decided to stop running. It is a WFAH16 remote unit that is connected to one air handler. The unit is controled by a SMXir digital unit. The SMXir display is working fine; the fan on the air handler is also running. I can switch from cool to heat on the display and control the fan speed. I did not note any error codes. Checking the compressor I found that the unit was not running. Attached gauges to the system and both dials were reading and equalized at 120 psi. All four units are tied into a Pump Relay - 8 STA-115. The other three units are running fine. ( Thank God!!! ) I guess my question is where do I start? Would it be a relay? capacitor?

Thanks,
    Mike~

Sorry you are having trouble signing up on my site...I sent you an e-mail back because I do need to know these things...I have had at least 14 new members join in the last week that didn't mention any troubles & there is a simple math question the has to be answered...Did you answer it ?
    I also went thru the process just now with a fictitious name and was able to get in without problem...

Anyway...On to your issue with the A/C...

Does it seem that that compressor even tries to start ?...Meaning any lights dimming, or can you watch your amp meter in the panel to see if it jumps up every once in awhile ?

If it doesn't even try it's likely as simple as a burnt wire or connection...

That is the original pump relay...It's old & discontinued but won't have any bearing on this problem...Here's an article I wrote that describes pump relays & their purpose: http://marine-ac.com/2009/08/07/mari...d-pump-relays/

Steve~

Quote Originally Posted by spcoolin View Post
    Mike~

Sorry you are having trouble signing up on my site...I sent you an e-mail back because I do need to know these things...I have had at least 14 new members join in the last week that didn't mention any troubles & there is a simple math question the has to be answered...Did you answer it ?
    I also went thru the process just now with a fictitious name and was able to get in without problem...

Anyway...On to your issue with the A/C...

Does it seem that that compressor even tries to start ?...Meaning any lights dimming, or can you watch your amp meter in the panel to see if it jumps up every once in awhile ?

If it doesn't even try it's likely as simple as a burnt wire or connection...

That is the original pump relay...It's old & discontinued but won't have any bearing on this problem...Here's an article I wrote that describes pump relays & their purpose: http://marine-ac.com/2009/08/07/mari...d-pump-relays/

Steve~
    I'll check everything when I get back to the boat this afternoon. I read your article on pump relays, and I intended to head in that direction this afternoon. Once I cycle each system one at a time, I'll jump back on here and let you know the results. Thanks again for the response. As for logging in on your site, it's giving me the same error!. All data fields are filled in, and yes I'm answering the math problem.... Lol. I'll try again this evening...
    Last edited by SeaWhisper; 06-17-2011 at 01:46 PM.
    Mike,

"SeaWhisperer"
    1969 Hatteras 53' MY
    Morehead City, NC.

I'll check everything when I get back to the boat this afternoon. I read your article on pump relays, and I intended to head in that direction this afternoon. Once I cycle each system one at a time, I'll jump back on here and let you know the results. Thanks again for the response. As for logging in on your site, it's giving me the same error!. All data fields are filled in, and yes I'm answering the math problem.... Lol. I'll try again this evening...

Steve,

Just checked the unit. All units are off. Turned unit on in question by selecting the Cool button. Fan at the air handler starts running. Few seconds you can hear a "Click...... Click" from the A/C unit. Second later, the sea water pump starts running. Watching the amp meter... no deflection, no dimming or glitching of the lights. No sounds from the compressor, no moans, growns, or jerks... Ran the test 3 times with the same results. Looking at the SMXir panel, after selecting the cool buttom, the cooling light at the bottom of panel will light. Removed the cover to the retro box behind the SMXir panel. All connection look clean and solid. No signs of a burned wires at the Retro box or behind the pannel on the A/C unit. Suggestions?

Thanks,
    Last edited by SeaWhisper; 06-17-2011 at 08:35 PM.
    Mike,

"SeaWhisperer"
    1969 Hatteras 53' MY
    Morehead City, NC.

Just so everyone knows...I didn't mean to imply that Mike's pump relay has anything to to with his issue....I only posted the link so that he might understand what pump relays do...

In his case with the SMXir control (or any Cruisair SMX)....The pump relay wires from that unit (and thus the pump) is connected to the same circuit as that compressor...

Meaning that if the pump runs with that thermostat calling (and no others calling)...The control is sending power out to the compressor circuit
    and the compressor should at least "try" to run...

If it does not try (and the pump does run with that T-stat calling) then there is either a burnt wire to the compressor (because the power is being sent out by the control) or a problem with the compressor, which he should see in heavy load till the compressor overload trips, then resets, and he will see that as heavy load again...That is...Unless the breaker trips (which is evidence of heavy load) but Hatteras is known for "Stout" breakers so that may not happen...

Again to be clear...Pump relays have Nothing to do with compressors...They only know that the compressor (or fan with older manual controls) is calling for the pump to run, and have no affect on compressors (or Fans) what so ever....

Mike & I have spoken by phone so I think he understands all this, and I gave him some things to look at...Hopefully he reports that all is good....

Steve~

Steve~

Steve~