Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Weight of a 11 Boston Whaler with a 20hp mercury /novurania 360dl/40 hp

Hi guys,

I have not got the manual of my davit and my current tender is a 11 boston whaler super sport with a 20 hp mercury 1984.(that is on the deck of my 60 series 1 conv).

Thinking of changing to a novurania rib 360 dl which weighs 195kg boat + 93kg = 288kg engine.

Anyone got any idea on the exact weight of my boston plus engine?

The whaler website lists the 11 sport at :Weight (dry, no engine): 460 lbs (208 kg) .

I would think the engine of that age is around 30kg?

So am around 250 kgs maybe or more?

40-50 kg more is too much to try on my davit?

Thanks very much.

Re: Weight of a 11 Boston Whaler with a 20hp mercury /novurania 360dl/40 hp

i cant' imagine that the davit on a 60 footer was installed without a significant safety margin and could not handle a small rib.

any data plate on the davit? brand? model?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

3. Re: Weight of a 11 Boston Whaler with a 20hp mercury /novurania 360dl/40 hp

I agree with Pascal...no worry.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

I can't imagine anyone .... is not a good argument people. I have seen too many previously installed screw ups and would advise all of you to take nothing for granted. For all you know the original tender could have been 250 lbs and the whaler is overloading the davit already.

find out the capacity of the davit, its cable and pulley system and the motors limits. Then you don't have to guess.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Rob,

I saw a thread from the past and saw you had a similar quest back then looking for the davit to hold your 11 whaler.

Did you manage to get an exact weight at the end on your boat?

By what i see here my davit needs to hold around 700lbs in order to be ok for the rib plus tanks,engine etc.

Take the cover off the motor and see what the model is, probably a "Golo" and check website for capacity. If 12 V will be low capacity.
    My neighbor has a 60ft Azimut and the Davit will not lift 600 lbs.

I just switched from a 12' Avon with 40hp Yamaha to a 13' Whaler Sport with a 40hp Honda. Total weight is about 850lbs. Before I bought the Whaler I called Marquipt to get the lifting capacity for the crane that's on my boat. They gave me a 1,000lb. capacity, so I was OK. I would suggest calling the manufacturer of your crane, just to be on the safe side. Good luck.
    Bill Root, USCG 100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY

Its a good idea no mater what the capicty to redo the bedding and fasteners on these davits if they have any age or high use. The SS screws can look great until you take them out and find they are eaten up. you are talking about lifting a load that if dropped can do a lot of damage or injury. Take a look at the cable and drum also. even SS cables have a life span. I have replaced 2 drums on my golopower winch the last one the cable tore thru the drum they are hollow inside.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

9. Re: Weight of a 11 Boston Whaler with a 20hp mercury /novurania 360dl/40 hp

"Rob: I saw a thread from the past and saw you had a similar quest back then looking for the davit to hold your 11 whaler. Did you manage to get an exact weight at the end on your boat?.."

Sorry, no, never bothered to check the actual weight...I don't think my old 1989 11 foot Whaler weighed 460 lbs though...(Newer models seem a lot more beamy.) I could lift and drag the back end on a beach with a 15HP 2 cycle Mercury....I would guess the back end and outboard was maybe 200-250 lbs...but with a 30HP 2 cycle Mariner, it was REALLY a struggle...I could drag it around but not really lift that....

I bought a used davit from a member of Sam's here on behalf of the new owner of my YF and installed it for him. I don't recall the specifications but it was capable of lifting a lot more than my 11 foot Whaler....Had a 110volt winch motor....

That davit had a standpipe that went through the deck fitting and down below where the bottom of the davit was fastened. So the deck bolts had nothing but a bit of side to side strain on them. I installed the deck fitting on a catwalk with SS thru bolts and the base of the standpipe inside the cabinetry on the floor under the catwalk....with screws and extra screws intio the plywood floor in the vicinity. A key to a strong installation is adequate separation between the deck plate and bottom of the standpipe. We had about 30" as I recall.

The aluminum deck flange welded to the davit was perpendicular to the standpipe and of course the catwalk was sloped down from the salon windows. I could have put in a wedge shaped filler...as maybe from a formed teak block ..but instead I wacked one side of the flange up and the other side down to get it to slope....using a block of wood on the flange so it would bend and not dent.....five minutes and the fit was perfect....very lucky with a "shortcut" for a change.
    Last edited by REBrueckner; 06-04-2011 at 10:56 AM.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Ok after searching a lot on the boat found that my crane was installed by pipe welders and has a model code MD-1000 (by the way its 110 volts).

Will search further the net now but again if above rings any bells for any of you would appreciate the comments.

Thanks guys
    Alex