Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

53 MY wiper blades not wiping wiping very well

I have NEVER been able to get the wiper blades to smoothly wipe the glass. It seems they all have sections that do not bear on the glass so I end up with clear areas and areas that the blade just ignores. I have changed blades twice since owning the boat but although the particular area of wiping/non-wiping changed, there were still missed areas.

I can sight down the blades and see that the contact portion of the blades are not straight. I was wondering how I might "true" the blade but can't come up with any method that I think would work. I tried bending but they don't bend in that direction (toward/away from the glass).

Any ideas?
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Re: 53 MY wiper blades not wiping wiping very well

My old Dump Truck's wipers did the same thing. Your springs maybe shot. Either get new wiper arms with stainless springs or you could try windshield wiper "helpers". They attach to the arm and apply more pressure to the whole blade. They worked for me. If I can enlist my daughter's help I will try to take a picture and post it. Auto parts stores should have them.

It could be the springs. Mine were always rusting away. The big problem are the rubber inserts which just don't do well in salt water and hot sun. Some have a thin metal strip at the base of the wiping surface which easily corrodes and breaks into pieces. Then they don't bear evenly. At the top of the arm is a hinge. WD-40 might help on this.

I also had continuing problems with my air operated wiper motors. The shafts must not have been stainless as they were always rusting and jaming. I ended up scrapping them for a ClearVue spinning glass screen which doesn't cover as much area but has lasted many years.

Mostly I just steer from the flying bridge and get wet. Except for lightning.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

It seems that we actually end up running our 53 more often from the lower helm than the upper. And we also seem to end up in the rain quite regularly.

So the wipers get a pretty regular workout - as in last week's cruise. And every time we run in the rain I b1tch about the port wiper's spotty wiping coverage. Spent a couple of hours fooling with it today. I tightened the spring by making a shorter "keeper" but it didn't make any difference. Sometimes I wonder if the windshield glass is bent!
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

5. Re: 53 MY wiper blades not wiping wiping very well

Have you tried RainX on the windshield?
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

Put some on yesterday! The wiper action hasn't improved but the missed spots clear themselves better!
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"