Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

43 DCMY Aft Cabin Conversion

Has anyone had any experience converting the twin berth setup on a 43 to a centerline queen.

Re: 43 DCMY Aft Cabin Conversion

I think it's been posted before. I look at mine and wouldn't mind it. That said I'd lose some acces to one of my rudders which is already a pita to get at. Plus give up some storage in the aft cabinent. With the fuel tanks under the berth's in the older 43 it really limits what you can do without major surgery. Bill
    Bill Allen 1973 43 dc
    Brielle N.J.

I don't know if this is applicable to your 43, but I reconfigured the twin beds in our 41 to a starboard side queen and a new/larger dresser and bench seat port-side. Photos attached.

The fuel tanks under the twin beds prevent a center-line queen. I guess you could relocated the tanks side-by-side in the center, but that would really be allot of work.

In the photo of the bed the hatch to the lazaret is open. It is actually easier to climb into the lazaret with this configuration than it was climbing over the original center-line dresser.
    Attached Images

Dont forget the advantage of sleeping on a 100 degree bed after cruising all day... still 45 at nite up here! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Smile Re: 43 DCMY Aft Cabin Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by gbharrington View Post
    Has anyone had any experience converting the twin berth setup on a 43 to a centerline queen.
    I would not trade our 43DCMY for split beds at any cost I'de buy a bigger boat.When Bren and I were talking about a 43 we looked at several and although we are getting to the point that somethings are slowing down I want to hold her all night long and she feels the same.The bed in the master is quite high .If you have never seen one Bren and the Small dog need a step abid a small one to get into the bed.Radar weighs only 8.5 and is quit agile but still needs the step to snuggle up on top of the covers .Is it worth it?To us it is.I dont know if its factory or knot but it sure looks like it-----Robby

Quote Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
    Dont forget the advantage of sleeping on a 100 degree bed after cruising all day... still 45 at nite up here! ws
    Add fuel coolers on the return lines, it helps! I personally like the split beds on our 43DC, my wife smells after a day on the water. Portable baby cribs fit with room to spare between bunks too. Natural Family Planning at its finest.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    I would not trade our 43DCMY for split beds at any cost I'de buy a bigger boat.When Bren and I were talking about a 43 we looked at several and although we are getting to the point that somethings are slowing down I want to hold her all night long and she feels the same.The bed in the master is quite high .If you have never seen one Bren and the Small dog need a step abid a small one to get into the bed.Radar weighs only 8.5 and is quit agile but still needs the step to snuggle up on top of the covers .Is it worth it?To us it is.I dont know if its factory or knot but it sure looks like it-----Robby
    It's not factory. They didn't offer a queen berth in the 43DC until around 1979 or 80.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I've got fuel coolers and never noticed an heat issue with sleeping over the tanks. I did drill 5/8" holes all over the plywood under the V-berth and master mattresses and put a layer of "hogs hair" A/C filter material under the mattresses. No more mildew under the mattresses.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    It's not factory. They didn't offer a queen berth in the 43DC until around 1979 or 80.
    Thanks Sky---

I would not trade our 43DCMY for split beds at any cost I'de buy a bigger boat.When Bren and I were talking about a 43 we looked at several and although we are getting to the point that somethings are slowing down I want to hold her all night long and she feels the same...

If yer slowin' down, ya better check yer filters and get yer props and bottom cleaned. ;-)) ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults