Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Re: Reengineering an air conditioning unit to “marine” use. Purists should cover the

Quote Originally Posted by spcoolin View Post
    But yet the P-51 Mustang was Liquid cooled and probably the most Heralded fighter plane in US history....

I like air cooled....Just yet to see a good one for "Yacht" A/C use....

Steve~
    Great plane, but not suitable for carrier ops. I can't think of any Navy aircraft that used liquid-cooled engines.

I wasn't really trying to make a point, it just seemed to fit the discussion.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Re: Reengineering an air conditioning unit to “marine” use. Purists should cover the

Quote Originally Posted by REBrueckner View Post
    spcoolin:
    very generous of you to share your knowledge and experience with us. Thanks.

Any idea what the EER/or SEER is for a typical modern marine (water cooled) unit?

Can you provide any insight into how much AC system efficiency typically improves over say five or ten years? Is the efficiency change rather minimal, in which case long lived (expensive) equipment might be preferable (to save on labor removal and installation costs), or does it typically improve several percent annually, meaning after five or ten years, upgrading would yield significant operating savings?? For the last several (maybe 5??) years, Home Depot, Lowes, and Walmart AC window units seem to have stayed at 10.6 or so....

All I know is my circa 1972, 1985 Cruisair systems were still working when I sold my 48 YF 2 years ago..at 37 and 24 years old, but I know from the high current draw they were very inefficient. I only ran them to exercise the units so the operating cost was minimal for me.

For those interested, wikipedia has interesting information and clear explanations under the heading SEER....or EER....here is one tidbit:

"Maximum SEER RatingsToday
    there are residential AC units available with SEER ratings up to 26. [4] There are a variety of technologies that will allow SEER and EER ratings to increase further in the near future.[5] Some of these technologies include rotary compressors, inverters, DC brushless motors, variable-speed drives and integrated systems.[5]"

26??? Holy cow?? That's news to me......I never have seen anything close to THAT. Likely NOT window units. The reason this is so potentially interesting is that electricity costs for Mario's system, for example, would be roughly 7.5/26 or about 29% of the LG unit he used....of course such a unit may cost big upfront $$$.
    Rob~

Apparently the Marine A/C industry is not required to rate their products by SEER or EER as I have never seen the figures on any Marine system...

I will say this though...Until the Jan 2010 EPA refrigerant change mandate for all A/C systems....The Marine "Split" systems (all brands) 16K & below used Reciprocating Compressors (piston type) that were developed for window units of many years ago...So I don't see them as having a SEER rating of anything above maybe an 8...I describe the reason for the use of the older technology compressors in this post on my site:

http://marine-ac.com/2010/01/27/mari...t-regulations/

Marine split systems larger than 16K have been using higher efficiency compressors for quite some time now...But it wasn't until this years introduction of Dometic's "Emerald" series systems with 410a that we now have High efficiency smaller split systems...My guess would be that they compare to around 14 SEER...Systems above that will have multi speed compressors as mentioned earlier.

Steve~
    Last edited by spcoolin; 05-18-2011 at 11:04 AM.

how about a follow up on this....how is she doing Mario?

Hello Bill!

Yes the a/c is still going strong with no issues! The unit still looks relatively new housed in the fly bridge and operates perfectly. Hands down the easiest solution to the marine a/c woes .
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney