Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Spin-on oil filter adapter for Allison Transmissions

Has anyone installed spin-on adapters to their Allison transmissions? The stock canisters always leak after I change the oil. The guys at Acadia Transmission told me the spin-on adapters (which are the same for the engines) have a hard time with the higher tranny pressures and can leak out before you know it. Any thoughts?

Cheers

Re: Spin-on oil filter adapter for Allison Transmissions

I have those (same as engines) spin ons; they were on the boat when I bought it in '04. I have never had the slightest leakage. They work great and are much easier to deal with than oem filters. On our 53 they are remote mounted on the other side of the ER, on the outer hull. The remot eng filters are mounted right next to them. Both are at chest - high level and very easy to change.
    Last edited by MikeP; 03-13-2012 at 04:26 PM.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

I added the spin-ons a few years ago. No problems.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

4. Re: Spin-on oil filter adapter for Allison Transmissions

I put spin-on adapters on Gigabite and never had any trouble with them. One thing to be aware of is that the cannisters have a drain plug which makes changes less messy -- you lose that with the spin-ons.

Worth it? Eh, I don't know.....I did it for convenience reasons but I'm not sure I actually got convenience
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

On our installation, the filters are well above the engine level so the only oil leakage issue with removing the filters is the oil that might dump out of the filter itself if you drop it or turn it sideways after removing it. Virtually no oil runs out around the filter when removing. Perhaps this is different depending on the installation but I can remove/replace both the eng and tranny filter without any oil leakage onto the floor/whatever.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    On our installation, the filters are well above the engine level so the only oil leakage issue with removing the filters is the oil that might dump out of the filter itself if you drop it or turn it sideways after removing it. Virtually no oil runs out around the filter when removing. Perhaps this is different depending on the installation but I can remove/replace both the eng and tranny filter without any oil leakage onto the floor/whatever.

You lie

No matter how easy it is, there is always spilled oil. I don't know how it happens, but it always does.

I do wish I had your setup, however.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

In 2 weeks I'm going to spin-ons. Countin' the days. I'm over these canisters.

8. Re: Spin-on oil filter adapter for Allison Transmissions

I've never been able to get away with that (no spilled oil); my approach has been to use a gallon-size ziplock (and a big trash bag under that with a couple of oilzorb pads in it for any that misses the bag)
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

My transmission filters are mounted on the bulk head, as all others filters are, I drain them by poking a hole in then with an awl. Then after it drails just spin it off, no mess.

JM
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Quote Originally Posted by mikfin View Post
    Has anyone installed spin-on adapters to their Allison transmissions? The stock canisters always leak after I change the oil. The guys at Acadia Transmission told me the spin-on adapters (which are the same for the engines) have a hard time with the higher tranny pressures and can leak out before you know it. Any thoughts?

Cheers
    This is the reason to change to spin-ons.

It's not about cleanliness during oil changes. It's about not having to worry about geysers between oil changes.
    Last edited by dcate; 03-13-2012 at 08:17 PM.