Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Red face different length oil dip sticks

I have 6v92 dd...port engine runs oil pressure around 30..starboard...60 while checking both I mixed up the oil dipsticks-----much to my surprise one is 2 inches longer than the other! both dipsticks come off to the centre of the boat... the longer dipstick is of course on the motor showing lower oil pressure....the starboard engine when checked with the longer dipstick shows approx 1 gallon overfill......does anybody else have different length dipsticks on their motors or has previous owner substituted?
    Any suggestions other than drain and refill to check appropriate sides for the dipsticks?

Re: different length oil dip sticks

Check with DD as to correct length for model # of engine...previous owner may have broken one and replaced with wrong one....do not gamble on that.

When you hold them side by side, are the full/low markings the same distance from the pull tab at the top? If so, then it shouldn't make a difference, should it? Seems to me that it's the measurement from the top down to the full/low markings that is important - who cares whether there is an extra inch or two of stick sitting the bottom of the oil, right? This is assuming both dip sticks fit all the way down the tube in the first place, which I assume they do, or you would have noticed this long before now.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Good thought angela--just checked and there is 2 inches difference in full/add marks from top down (same as the dipstick difference) However, I just noticed that both dipsticks have serial no's stamped on them..8923097 V and 5101885 V--but cant find any no's on the motors that match .
    Also the dipstick enters the port engine above the oil pan on the starboard motor and directly into the oil pan on the port motor---maybe that explains why the lengths are different.

I think you just answered your own question.

BILL

Quote Originally Posted by Docs Holiday View Post
    Good thought angela--just checked and there is 2 inches difference in full/add marks from top down (same as the dipstick difference) However, I just noticed that both dipsticks have serial no's stamped on them..8923097 V and 5101885 V--but cant find any no's on the motors that match .
    Also the dipstick enters the port engine above the oil pan on the starboard motor and directly into the oil pan on the port motor---maybe that explains why the lengths are different.
    My 6v92TA's were set up the same way. Port engine had the shorter dipstick. Not sure why and the engines had sequential serial #'s so it wasn't a case of different series engines.
    Jack Sardina

Probably when they made the Left and right engines it was easier and cheaper to change the oil pan than change the block sand molds when casting. One less major part to change.

BILL

I bought my new engines direct from Detroit Diesel in 1993. In ordering there were a lot of options to select from. Alternators, starter voltage, appearance package, etc. A DD technician came to commission the engines after they were installed, but before initial start up. He added all the fluids and checked everything. He added the minimum amount of oil from gallon jugs to the engine, checked this level on the dipstick and trimmed the stick to match. Then he added the rest of the oil. Probably did the same for the transmissions. This accounted for the different engine angles which might be encountered. Then he started them up, observed for a few minutes, and we started off for sea trial. There were many pipes and gauges attached to each engine and transmission, and readings taken at various rpm. One was engine room pressure drop with ER doors closed, which required sealing the doors with duct tape so the gauges could be read from outside. When he was satisfied we returned to the dock and shut down. Again he checked fluid levels. Then he handed me his data sheet, I signed and dated it, accepting the engines and starting my warrantee. I must have gotten the "sweet spot" for DD evolution, as I have had almost no problems with my 6V-92TA 550 hp mechanical engines. We just returned from nearly 3 months in the Bahamas, travelled over 600 n.m. to 23 locations, and added not one drop of oil or water for the trip. Oil level never budged from the low end of the dipstick. Normally I would have added a little, but this trip I was trying to calculate the oil consumption. About 120 mi at 2050 rpm cruise, 16-19 kts, rest at 1000-1100, 8-9 kts. which I was trying for economy. This was the best weather and smoothest seas I have ever seen in the Bahamas.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932