Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Exact oil capacity for a 671 T, 330 HP Bertram install?

Just did an oil change, took out a lot more oil than my multifit manual says must go in. Am concerned that the rotated engine install used in a Bertram may use a unique oil pan. (Hatteras was straight up, wasn't it?) The multifit manual shows 2 pans, one very shallow (clearly not mine) and one deep (but drain plug location looks different). The deep pan specs 31 quarts plus 2 in the filter. That's 8 gallons and a quart. That's what I put back in and it barely reads 1/4 inch on the stick. Before, I was keeping the oil at the full level. So, does the Bertram install of the 671 T (rotated 45% for lower floor) require a different oil pan, and if not, why do I read low? PO does not remember. (Previous volume not a coolant leak, it was me keeping it topped to mark on stick.)
    Kent Bracken
    "Sea Lion"
    1976 Bertram 42 Aft Cabin FB Motoryacht

Re: Exact oil capacity for a 671 T, 330 HP Bertram install?

Quote Originally Posted by Genevatexan View Post
    Just did an oil change, took out a lot more oil than my multifit manual says must go in. Am concerned that the rotated engine install used in a Bertram may use a unique oil pan. (Hatteras was straight up, wasn't it?) The multifit manual shows 2 pans, one very shallow (clearly not mine) and one deep (but drain plug location looks different). The deep pan specs 31 quarts plus 2 in the filter. That's 8 gallons and a quart. That's what I put back in and it barely reads 1/4 inch on the stick. Before, I was keeping the oil at the full level. So, does the Bertram install of the 671 T (rotated 45% for lower floor) require a different oil pan, and if not, why do I read low? PO does not remember. (Previous volume not a coolant leak, it was me keeping it topped to mark on stick.)
    Did you do both engines? If not, measure the amount you take out of the other. If that won't work for you you should be able to get close by checking with a good Detroit shop. You have 671 incline or lay down engines. I'm sure the oil capacity is different due to the angle they sit on. Also keep in mind that your capacity will vary depending on accessories such as oil coolers, remote oil filters etc., and configuration.
    Jack Sardina

3. Re: Exact oil capacity for a 671 T, 330 HP Bertram install?

Haven't heard much posted here about inclines, but maybe somebody has owned some.

Unless for some reason you doubt the dipstick readings used on your engines, does it make any difference what some reference says? How many additional quarts to fill all the way to "full" from that 1/4" mark you mention?

Now that you mention it, I never did get an "official" oil quantity for my particular 8V71TI's, but I recall seeing several different measures in my DD manual. Sounds like you have good oil capacity: my 8V71TI's took about 15 gallons for both engines...a little over 7 gal per engine...no matter what, a few quarts won;t make a huge difference with that much capacity.

At refill I just compared the quantity of oil I extracted and the relative dipstick reading before draining, with the dipstick reading after refill, after running the engines, and the quantity I added. I usually let the oil drop down to "low" before an oil change figuring there was no reason to add oil close to drain time. So my refill amount was usually 2-3 quarts more than I drained per engine.

Some possibilities:
    Are you sure no oil leaked elsewhere during the refill...like into the bilge?

Is there anything unique about refill oil draining down into an incline engine oil pan....maybe it takes a few minutes for some reason???

Are you sure you inserted the dipstick all the way down...sometimes a snug fit for the last 3/4" or so prevents a dipstick from snapping in to its correct position?

Did you run the engines before checking the oil level? If not, and you changed oil filters, you'd think the reading would be higher than expected since the new filter would still be empty....not helpful, but something to keep in mind.

Are both your dipsticks identical length with identical markings? Maybe you could compare your measurements with another Bertram owner with the same oil pans??

Another [annoying] consideration is that the engine angle may be different in your boat from the dipsticks you have. I'd disregard this possibility if the engines are original by Bertram, but it's a possibility if a repower.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

I covered off each of the suggestions in the last post already. The oil sticks are identical, the engines original, the level checked multiple times before and after running. The reason this is all relevant is that the oil removed was nearly 2 gallons over the book spec, and the engine has been running smoky. With the oil level at spec, no smoke at all, but maybe no oil at all (!) (below pickup level?) Its a LONG way from where it reads today to meet the level on the stick and PO THINKS he always ran the engines a couple of quarts low, because it would end up there anyway and then stay there.
    We did this oil change to DELO 100 40 WT in the hunt for the issue with the grey smoke exhaust and ran into this spec difference.
    Bertram wanted a lower center of gravity for sea handling so these engines are laid over...
    Kent Bracken
    "Sea Lion"
    1976 Bertram 42 Aft Cabin FB Motoryacht

So, 45 Degree laid over left or right will make a huge difference to dipstick level and if in a heavy beam sea could be an issue, re check allowable max. incline and maybe have to be a bit overfilled .

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck Dennis View Post
    So, 45 Degree laid over left or right will make a huge difference to dipstick level and if in a heavy beam sea could be an issue, re check allowable max. incline and maybe have to be a bit overfilled .
    The engines are built to be mounted that way. It was a factory version of the 671's. Hatteras used them in the early 42's as did Bertram. They are some differences from a standard 671 so be sure to use the DD serial number when ordering parts. I do recall they hold more oil and there are some differences to the lube system to help with even lubrication of the engine.
    Jack Sardina

Hi All,

We're running 8V71 Naturals. They sit pretty much level. To do an oil and filter change on one engine we use 7 gallons, every time.
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four

8. Re: Exact oil capacity for a 671 T, 330 HP Bertram install?

Post #4 puts things in perspective. Two gallons is a BIG difference.

"PO THINKS he always ran the engines a couple of quarts low, because it would end up there anyway and then stay there..."

These forums have previously noted a similar situation in some upright DD. I forget who posted about it first, but after that I also noted my own 8V71TI's would use oil faster from full to about 1/2 full...this would be about two quarts worth of lube oil. From 1/2 full to low, I noticed much less oil use and since then I always ran a quart or two below "full".

I never personally noted any exhaust smoke associated with my oil fill level. But that sure would seem to be a possibility.
    Last edited by REBrueckner; 04-22-2011 at 07:05 PM.
    Rob Brueckner

9. Re: Exact oil capacity for a 671 T, 330 HP Bertram install?

Is ONE of your engines smoky...or are BOTH?

Gene...did you read this current thread:
    http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17525

See especially the post by the originator explaining different oil pan dipstick holder positions....

Could your dipstick tube holders be at different heights...? I believe mine were a screw type fitting...which should not move/shift.... at the oil pan but maybe someone knows if different assemblies were used over the years. A pressed type fitting might loosen.

also: If either dipstick tube (holder) is bent ...it could change the effective length and measure of the dipstick if it's at a significant angle....
    Last edited by REBrueckner; 04-22-2011 at 07:07 PM.
    Rob Brueckner

If your smoking when your dip stick says full and it stops when it's a couple quarts low. I would run it and maintain it low. Oil ingestion can't be good for that motor. I would check with who ever converted or built the motors to run on that angle. With the oil cap. of the stock oil pan there should be more than enough oil. Providing they also alter the oil pick up in the new pan. Sounds like they cheated on the dipstick by not making a new one to match the new pan. Or someone changed the dip sticks.

BILL