Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Tech Help,Racor CCV 12v 71 N 500HP

Ok, considering adding racor ccv"s to my 12 V 71 N's ..500 HP ea.

The Parker tech support people say because this an open system will require a bigger model than closed system....180.00 vs 500..bucks....

Here is the reasoning and my thoughts.....

The closed system apparently provide a "suction" for the CCV whereas the Natural does not provide much suction therefore needs a "bigger" system...

The smaller unit is designed for open system max...now, my question...
    The 12 V's have 4 silencers on top, the current ventilation pipe discharges at one of the silencers, can I transpose that to mean 25% HP per silencer and therefore connect the smaller unit to that silencer intake via modified tapping into the silencer body????

Expurt opinoins welcomed...even non expurts please...

Have call into DD as well to see what they say...

Re: Tech Help,Racor CCV 12v 71 N 500HP

I'm not an Expurt, but sometimes I play one on line.

A non-turbo DD does lack the suction of the the TI's, but you knew that.

My first question is why do you want a CCV system? Oil mist in the ER?

Very slight mist off the stb'd engine only, just had a call back from DD service dep't, and they actually prefer no CCV on either Turbo or natural engines. Feeling is there is always the potential for a runaway...

Very interesting...makes sense..project cancelled..

I always had dribble coming down the breather tube. I cut a piece of hose plugged the end and made a slot in the hose aimed up on a 45 angled towards the intake. Solved the problem. I think the air drawn across the breather tube acts like blowing on a coke bottle and draws the fumes and oil out.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

5. Re: Tech Help,Racor CCV 12v 71 N 500HP

Sounds like rsmith has a good solution for dribbles.

I don't see how the RACOR CCV could cause a runaway....Anybody know how that could happen???.....but have heard here the Walker AirSep can do that.

On the other hand, I've never figured out why either system would be worthwhile with naturals.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Theres a mesh screen under the breather mount that if plugged up with goo may cause less intake draftage. That, plus the airbox drains being plugged would cause more crankase vapor... just a thought. ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Quote Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
    Theres a mesh screen under the breather mount that if plugged up with goo may cause less intake draftage. That, plus the airbox drains being plugged would cause more crankase vapor... just a thought. ws

I've had mine off a #of times over the years and they are always full of goo. When I did the rebuilds in 02 I sent them thru the process of elimination.Every bit of extra air helps.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

So you filed the screens? I thought they would help precipitate the oil vapor to prevent an overfuel situation... ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

Quote Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
    So you filed the screens? I thought they would help precipitate the oil vapor to prevent an overfuel situation... ws

If you saw the mud dirt and sand I dug out of the airbox's the screens cant be that effective. What you never flipped the aircleaner lid when you were a kid? MORE POWER!!

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

What you never flipped the aircleaner lid when you were a kid? MORE POWER!!

Only on delivery with 30 miles on it! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY