Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Water Line Flare Fitting Leaks

The PEX that requires a crimping tool is the cheaper, Home Despot-grade stuff. I just redid my entire fresh water system with PEX-A, which uses an expander tool and has better properties (i.e. more flexible, greater elasticity). It took longer to remove the old copper than it did to replumb. I wouldn't use anything else.

Why replace the copper if it is OK?? My Hatt is plumbed with high quality copper, when I add or replumb something I use c opper and flare fittings just like original.

I chose to replace the entire system after significant freeze damage plus I wanted to convert to fresh water flush heads.

The choice was trying to run down numerous leaks and fix them in-situ or update the whole system.

I now have a system using Seatech that is much easier to repair or modify, is more freeze resistant, has a manifold with zones allowing for me to work on areas of the boat without shutting down water to the whole vessel's and unlike copper is not prone to corrosion.

Whether it lasts 30 years like the copper did... I hope to personally find out and report back here in 2040.
    Shawn
    58 MY

Quote Originally Posted by captddis View Post
    Why replace the copper if it is OK?? My Hatt is plumbed with high quality copper, when I add or replumb something I use c opper and flare fittings just like original.
    My copper pipes were 43yo and had been spliced in several spots, a couple of which were leaking and situated in places that haven't seen daylight since shortly after the keel was laid.

Another upside of going to PEX was that the volume of water at the shower and faucets went up markedly since there aren't any hard Tees or Els in the new system.

5. Re: Water Line Flare Fitting Leaks

Those original cooper lines can get pretty ugly inside with crud build up from over the years...just like a home copper tubing system.

When I replaced all the sink shut off valves at home a few years ago.......the ones at the wall outlets ..I was appalled at the black build up in the 1970
    1/2" copper...looked exactly like the dirty inside of the soft copper on my 1972 Hatt...
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Quote Originally Posted by REBrueckner View Post
    Those original cooper lines can get pretty ugly inside with crud build up from over the years...just like a home copper tubing system.

When I replaced all the sink shut off valves at home a few years ago.......the ones at the wall outlets ..I was appalled at the black build up in the 1970
    1/2" copper...looked exactly like the dirty inside of the soft copper on my 1972 Hatt...
    "Those original cooper lines can get pretty ugly inside with crud build up from over the years...just like a home copper tubing system."

Maybe in your house with a well but most boats are on public water systems with filtered water and loads of clorine. Even in the house I've never seen buildup in the copper unless its near the dielectric fitting for the hot water heater.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present