Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Water Line Flare Fitting Leaks

Suggestions please regarding my leaking flare fittings at the water heater. The copper flare fittings at the heater leaked when I reconnected them. I smoothed the surfaces with 600 grit wet/dry paper and they dripped, much less but still some. I disconnected, sanded some more and tried again, still a problem.

Reviewing old posts it appears that I may need to cut and reflare the copper tubing. Before I go out and buy a new tool and cut stuff, is that my best next step?

Also, what about the fitting that goes into the flare, should it be replaced?

My time for trial and error is getting thin. We have a High School graduation party for a nephew scheduled on the boat tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

Re: Water Line Flare Fitting Leaks

When previous owner replaced water heater on my 43DC, he cut the copper tubing and slipped reinforced nylon tubing over it (no flare made) with 3 hose clamps that went to barbed fittings on water heater. Kind of ghetto, but holding fine with no leaks after 3 years of ownership.

The copper flares are work hardened from going on and off. The brass nuts are harder material. You may also have a cracked flare right where it meets the tubing. Go the ghetto route! Flares are difficult when you can only reach in with a left hand!! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

4. Re: Water Line Flare Fitting Leaks

You can try smearing a bit of silicone gasket goop on it as a temporary measure....only takes five minutes if you have it available....
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

As Bill said. Cut the old flair off and redo it. Or you could dry the fittings and squeeze a dab of Seals All on the matting surface. A buck and a quarter a tube at any hardware.

BILL

Went back to the plumbing supply this afternoon. They did not have a flaring tool, nor did they have fittings with hose barbs, but they did have compression fittings.

Everything is connected, dry, and working fine. I had hot water in less than an hour.

Thanks for the advice.
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

PEX. Take what you have to any good hardware or plumbing supply store,show it to the counterman,explain what you are trying to do and match it up with the corresponding PEX replacement adapters.There are several other brands using push on nylon adapters that are also very good.

Over the years I have converted several boats including BUSTER to all PEX with nylon tubing.The stuff is great. It pushes together,adapts to existing copper with a simple push on coupling,does not leak and if it freezes,it is not damaged.
    Tony Cabral
    Hatteras 42C "BUSTER"
    Hope Town
    Abaco Bahamas
    42' POST / "GHOST MOVE"
    New London Ct

If replacing I would consider the SeaTech product before PEX.

I recently had my potable water system replumbed with it and the fittings are very high quality and easy to install.

I got the tip from Roger Wetherington during the first Hat School and had Bruce do the work here in NY.

Could not be more pleased with the quality, it comes in different colors (used red for warm and blue for cold) and it doesnt require any crimping tools etc.

http://www.seatechinc.com/

Shawn
    Last edited by sandspur1966; 04-20-2011 at 03:37 PM.
    Shawn
    58 MY

Quote Originally Posted by sandspur1966 View Post
    If replacing I would consider the SeaTech product before PEX.

I recently had my potable water system replumbed with it and the fittings are very high quality and easy to install.

I got the tip from Roger Wetherington during the first Hat School and had Bruce do the work here in NY.

Could not be more pleased with the quality, it comes in different colors (used red for warm and blue for cold) and it douesnt require any crimping tools etc.

http://www.seatechinc.com/

Shawn
    I used a chinese generic knock-off POS like the #35 shown from Menards, and was surprised how well it worked, HOWEVER, it had a hard time negotiating the Hatteras OEM copper tubing. The OEM stuff actually MIC'd up like .015" over the standard size (1/2 or 5/8, I ferget) which had to be dressed down with a file. I used the white/clear semi hard plastic tubing.
    The other issue, is that I used them for some connections on my fuel polishing system. They were fine unless you made a disconnect, then the O rings would swell and be useless. BTW... the are PROPIETARY to the fitting MFGr and not sold seperately. Now if I could only find someone who is replacing their 1000 Racors, I COULD MAKE A FULL TIME POLISHING UNIT SHAWN !!! ws

The clear TYGON allowed some visual inspection of the progress.
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Sorry Bill, they were sold to a different member here.
    Shawn
    58 MY