Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Change antifreeze in 12v71

Any idea how many galons of Antifreeze/coolant are required for 12v71 and cost of fluids?

Re: Change antifreeze in 12v71

Quote Originally Posted by True Grit View Post
    Any idea how many galons of Antifreeze/coolant are required for 12v71 and cost of fluids?
    I use this ... DD Power Cool coolant 23424677 It's pre-mixed and comes in 5 gallon pails. Sorry I cannot be more precise about how much it takes. I know it's more than 3 gallons per side ... my guess is approx 6 gallons per side but I'm not sure so you'll need to add until you top it off. I pump from the 5 gallon pail into the reservoir. Cost?? not sure.

Re: Change antifreeze in 12v71

I use Old World Industries, Inc. FLEET CHARGE Fully Formulated Coolant (has all the appropriate SCA). You mix 50/50 with distilled water. From everything I read, Detroit Diesel Corp put their name on the bottle (re-branded) but Old World Industries is the original manufacture. I have 8v92's DDEC, each holds about 25 gallons. You can get the Fleet Charge from NAPA and cases of distilled water from Costco. Last time I did a complete change out it was approximately $700 for supplies. Recommend you flush the system before installing anything new and changing out any marginal or questionable hoses before installing new coolant. I have an DD manual, but it most be on the boat, that lists out the gallons for each model. If I can find it I'll post or hopefully, someone else here might know the answer.

DDC Power Cool 93K217 Approved Coolants List
    http://extranet.detroitdiesel.com/Su...int_93K217.asp
    Best regards,
    --
    David