Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Boat Wax -Imron

Boat Wax -Imron

What do you recommend for cleaner-wax -pollishes with Imron paint,Thanks,Peter

Re: Boat Wax -Imron

Quote Originally Posted by Hatt-Trick View Post
    What do you recommend for cleaner-wax -pollishes with Imron paint,Thanks,Peter

OMG its the nuclear question. This question may bring some HOF members to blows. Look out for whats to follow.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Hand application only for Maquires cleaner wax, no machine application.

If anything, wash really well then, Rejex or AwlCare. If it already looks good, just wash it with something like Yachtbrite or AwlWash or just do nothing. If it looks bad, lightly buff with Finnesse-it II, then wipe on/wipe off Rejex.

Once we went with Rejex, we usually just wash off with plain water or VERY mild solution of something like Yachtbrite. We cut the ICW "mustache" effect down 90% and the rest came off easy. Great stuff.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

NO WAX on IMRON! It will just end up dulling the finish. Wash it and forget about it.

If you feel compelled to do more, use Finesse-it II. As George said, a sealer like Awlcare or similar will help it to shed dirt.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

I thought he wanted cleaner wax, guess I can't read anymore....

Cleaner-wax is the worst thing you can use on Imron/Awlgrip. It will essentially make what was once essentially maint-free paint into normal paint.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

I'll second 3M Finesse It followed up Rejex. Original Imron on 1976 43DC still shining from one application of each I did last March, which was the last time hull was cleaned and in pretty rough shape. I think Rejex, and recently Collnite Metal Wax for stainless steel, is the best thing I have taken from HOF. I don't like cleaning.

This year I'm crossing my fingers I only have to wash hull, Finesse It on couple of stubborn dirty bumper marks, and Rejex to go another year. Rejex also very easy to rub on and rub off, not all the muscle of Finesse It or Wax. 1 Gallon will do 43DC hull about 3 times over.

can someone please clarify this? I have a 52'c which i know is painted. Whether it is with awlgrip or Imron i do not know. But i always thought that waxing the boat every few months is a good thing. After this thread it sounds like painted hulls are NOT supposed to be waxed? Can some one please clarify this?

Is there a way to know whether the boat is with awlgrip or imron?

Traditional waxes which contain no abrasives probably do little harm to the coating, but offer no benefit.

As reprinted from awlgrip website.