Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hot Water Heater Replacement 43DC

It took a bottle jack to raise the deck enough to slide it out and once out the amount of scale inside was impressive.

As always there are still a few snags. The 6 gal Whirlpool from Lowes is a 1/2" or so taller and I will have to cut out and lower the support floor; however the side inlet and outlet have plugs which will not come out. Anyone have this problem, the lady at Lowes was no help.

Can you mount this type heater on its side?

I saw and considered Fred's post regarding the Bosch model, but it looks a little taller than the Lowes, and I did not want to wait until Tuesday.

Also I tried to put the water system toghether wo the heater and the compression fittings leaked. Is there something I need to do to clean or polishd those fittings?

Thought you might appreciate the amount of scale that came out.

Any idea why Hatteras put a fire extinguisher outlet in the compartment which houses the ac compressors and the electric hot water heater?

Thanks
    Last edited by Vincentc; 04-18-2011 at 08:29 AM.
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

Re: Hot Water Heater Replacement 43DC

That Bosch is doing a great job. Mounted on its side provides 7 gallons. Was well worth the wait. $214.00 delivered. Its in a plastic case. I used flexible wire braided hose to reconnect. It is mounted in the port v-berth storage compartment. Lowered the bottom of the compartment a couple of inches and it fit fine.
    Last edited by Finalee; 04-18-2011 at 11:42 AM. Reason: more info
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

I called Whirlpool and they said the side plugs are removable. They were half right. With some not so gentle persuasion one plug came out, the other remains immovable. I am going to take it back to Lowes.

Fred, with the Bosch unit on its side how high is it? I would rather keep the heater where the pump and plumbing is. My height limit is 15 inches and can gain an inch by cutting the plywood decking underneath the heater. Width and depth are around 20"

I have Amazon prime and can have it shipped one day for $4.
    Thanks
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

4. Re: Hot Water Heater Replacement 43DC

"Any idea why Hatteras put a fire extinguisher outlet in the compartment which houses the ac compressors and the electric hot water heater?"

Any electric appliance with or near combustables can be a potential fire hazard.....even a shorepower connector, as we have learned here from a number of discussions.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

5. Re: Hot Water Heater Replacement 43DC

I never thought about this before, but maybe putting a zinc plug in a spare plug hole would be a good idea.

I have been advised by public utility guys to replace the zinc "anode" in my home water heater to reduce scale and corrosion and extend the life of the water heater. Why "marine" hot water heaters don't have them is unclear to me uness they are a stainless steel tank....and maybe they would benefit too.

When you hear the "bubbling" or minor "clanking" when a hot water heater is actively heating, that's the scale which has dropped to the bottom bouncing around inside the tank. I do hear that in my home gas heater; don't know if electric heaters have that sound as the coil is inside the tank...I never noticed it aboard.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

No further information needed on the Bosch heater. I studied the manaual available on Amazon, and best I can tell, it needs 17.5 inches plus space for the pressure relief. I went to a plumbing supply and they had a 6 gallon heater which matches the old one in size and looks identical even though the old one was a Rudd and the new one a Rheem. The dimensions and appearance differ from the Whirlpool, but there is one similarity, both are made in Mexico.

Like the old one, the new heater does not come with a drain valve, considering the amount of scale accumulated in the old one, I am going to see if a drain can be added to the intake line.
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Vincent ... my 1979 43DC still has the original Raritan hotwater heater ... I replaced the anode in 2006 ... Raritan part no. 1790010 ... they are very proud of this magnesium anode ... $48 plus $10 shipping and handling.

8. Re: Hot Water Heater Replacement 43DC

My 43' had a 19 gal water heater.... I replaced it several years ago with a 12 gal one as it would of required me cutting/ rearranging 'stuff' to put another 19 gal in. And this one went in nice and easy.
    Got my new one from Lowes in 2004, (just actually looked at my log- paid $160).
    My E.R. fire extinguisher CO tank is located next to my refrigerator
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Where is your heater located. Mine is in front of the starboard engine. I uses the engine for heat underway. I have lots of room. I don't remember how big it is, but it's taller than 17 inches.

Bill

The heater is below the dinette , which is port side fwd of the engine room bulkhead. The heater is alongside the hull and rests on a plywood platform. The heater I put in is 15 1/5 inches high and I had to take about 3/8" of wood to get it in.
    Last edited by Vincentc; 04-19-2011 at 01:57 AM.
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi