Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

871TI Coolant capacity

I am in the process of refilling my cooling systems. I check the Detroit book as well as my owners manual and the capacity is not listed. If anyone knows I would appreciate knowing so I can work out the correct mix ahead of time.
    Thanks
    Ben

Re: 871TI Coolant capacity

It’s approx. 15 gals.

If you send me your email address, I can send you additional info that may be useful to you. The files were too large for a PM.

Greg

Besides the coolant capacity, are you including use of Nalcool, or DD "Power Cool 3149" coolant additive, also sold by NAPA under another name for DD's. This coolant is mixed with the regular coolant and recommended by DD (now MTU) for special corrosion protection.

You could use the 50/50 pre-mix for cars, but DD recs special formula coolant for heavy duty diesels, also sold by NAPA.

AVOID Dex-Cool, usually associated with recent GM Cars. This will void the warranty on some diesel brands.

Anyway, be aware the recommendation for the additive that was formerly Nalcool, aka DD Powercool.

Will additives from NAPA such as Siloo's Sy-Cool or the new CRC additive (made by Siloo) work ok? The bottle says it has Supplemental Coolant Additives (SCA's). Is it possible to over treat or put too much additive in?

I have 8V92s and have always run straight water with additive (no coolant/anti-freeze) in the summer time. This year when I went to purchase Sy-Cool, they said it had been replaced with the CRC product. Any thoughts?

There has been enough switching around of product names and merging of makers to create some confusion.

The Nalcool people merged with or were bought by the Bars Leak people. (I am told by one of their former techs that a major ferry operation running DD's always put a bottle of Bars Leak in each season). But at any rate, I am not sure if it is still called Nalcool.

The primary content of Nalcool type products are nitrates that reduce microscopic bubbles and related corrosion of DD cyl liners. I am in the process of reacquiring info on these products, names, and mixture rates.

I did see a very post by a Hatt owner about all of this on a "Trawler World" web site. http://www.hollowbox.net/digests/twldigestV17-9.htm

My 8V71TIs take 7 gal coolant in each engine. I just use a 50% mix of DD Powercool antifreeze, per DD recommendations.

Doug

You Know,
    I think that 7 gal per engine is more like what I use. Total of 15-16 gal for both engines. I all ways use distilled water. Somewhere along the line heard that there was less stuff floating around in it.
    Safe Boating
    Sam

Yes, you want to use distilled water. No minerals in distilled water to foul up your cooling system.

I’ve got a spec sheet that specifies a 15 gal capacity for an 871. I’ll check my other books today just to be sure. As I have not yet changed my coolant, I cannot confirm the specs. I don’t understand the discrepancy.

FWIW, my 8V92s hold about 12 gallons total per engine.

Upon checking my DD Manual and the DD Field Service Handbook, I find that they both specify 7 ¾ gals/engine. The spec sheet that I referred to above states 15 gals/engine. The 7 ¾ gal must be for the engine block only and 15 gal for an engine with H/E and hoses.

How much coolant came out?