Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Food for thought...

I am in a quandry... I have two 2500 RPM cable driven tachs in the wheelhouse, and two 3500 electric tachs on the bridge. One of the lowers has a removed, broken cable and housing. Rather than try to fish the replacement back through, I was considering installing two electrics downstairs.
    So heres some questions:
    1. Will the tach generator drive two units?
    2. why is one 2500 and the other 3500?
    3. If this is feasable, would anyone be interested in trading electrics for the mechanicals? Cables included.
    4. Also interested in buying two electric units outright. If that happens I will liquidate the mechanicals by parts or complete.
    Any feedback would be appreciated! ws

Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 04-12-2011 at 11:15 AM.
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

2. Re: Food for thought...

If you do decide to go electrical, at least consider digital tachs. My 1972 48 YF had them on the flyrbidge when I bought her and I really liked them. You can tell for example when riding up and down heavy sea waves how much the RPM varies...

On the other hand if you have a synchronizer you don't really need precise RPM readings for any reason I can think of, so if there is much of a price premium, maybe they are not worth it.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Re: Food for thought...

I built a pair of digitals for my Roamer and they drove me nuts !! Thats when I realized the difference between digital and analogue (1986). Numbers constantly bouncing around is pretty distracting, and makes it hard to visually anylize what youre reading. Even aircraft has analogue stuff (in addition to the new flat screen displays). Sweep needle displays tell you at a glance what youre reading. Granted, those kits probably needed a buffer adjustment... ws

Too much damn information TMDI !!

So, whats the alternative to the OEM tach generators? Pickups on the engine dampener on the front? I WANT ANSWERS!!! LOL
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

My Steam gauge airplane

"DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

5. Re: Food for thought...

Interesting point regarding digitals "bouncing around". I never considered that because the ones that came with my old Hatt were generally steady within one or two RPM....I have no idea how that readout stability was achieved and frankly I was surprised the 30 plus year old
    8V71TI's could run that evenly....

Oddly it was my bridge deck...lower station....cable mechanical tachs that "bounced around" the entire 11 years I had my Hatt...perhaps several hundred RPM. My mechanic told me lubing the upper end might help but because the cables were old they'd probably need to be replaced.....I never did either because of the difficulty getting to the back of the lower helm instruments...and they continue to "bounce around" for the new owner.
    Last edited by REBrueckner; 04-13-2011 at 08:52 AM.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

HEY SCHMIDT! That cluster looks like home to me! The GPS is enoughf tech stuff to keep me confused. Not being a pilot myself, I would feel more competent with a panel like that... That flat screen is hunky dory until you loose the ground wire... OOPS... YA WANT THAT PICTURE?????

RE: the tachs Reb... My mechanical port tach quit on me. As it turns out theres a gear worn out in the Right Angle drive on the engine. Its a double (see the pic) with a tach generator on the one side and a cable on the other.That BTW is proprietary GM stuff and a PITA to get. I got a new one and found the stub cable broken. Got all that togeter and found the long cable unraveled and read to go. Changed that and found the housing cashed too. Pull that all out and now have a set of bastard cables to try and fish back in, ior, run a few wires.
    The starboard side sounds like a loud clock running... tick tick tick and bounces just a little. Ran that boat from NOLA to Chicago on one tach... ws

Notice R pinion and T worm gears are shot

$300 from DD... this one was about $150

15 minutes in here and I would be confident!
    yachtsmanWILLY

Fifteen minutes in there and I'd shoot myself. Or whoever put me in there.

Bill, if you want to get electric tachs, try Isspro on the West Coast, I think OR or WA state. They are great. Ask for Don Wendlich, he has done a number of custom orders for me. I have four Isspro tachs on my boat and they are not only accurate, they all agree.

If you want used electric tachs versus new, check out www.skippersmarine.com Several listed for sale.

Bill,
    I may have what you need.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post

15 minutes in here and I would be confident!
    4017 ?
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375